Avalara Taxrates > Blog > Sales Tax News > Idaho Grocery Sales Tax Refund - Avalara

Idaho Grocery Sales Tax Refund

  • Feb 7, 2012 | Susan McLain

According to a recent Idaho Tax Commission news release, “Idaho residents who don’t normally make enough money to file an income tax return can still get a refund of the grocery tax credit for 2011.” Full-time Idahoans who have resided in the state for all of 2011 may qualify to receive $80 - $100 refund “…which offsets the sales tax on groceries.”

The Tax Commission will modify the refund if the resident has received federal food stamps or were in jail for part of the year. Their refund will be prorated according to the time those conditions existed. “Last year about 60,000 residents who weren’t required to file a tax return filed for a grocery credit refund.”

Taxpayers must provide proof of legal residency for themselves and each dependent and use Form 40, the Idaho Individual Income Tax Return. Residents over 65 use Form 24, the Idaho Grocery Credit Refund.

Get Free Tax Rate Tables

Sales tax rates, rules, and regulations change frequently. Although we hope you'll find this information helpful, this blog is for informational purposes only and does not provide legal or tax advice.
Avalara Author
Susan McLain
Avalara Author Susan McLain
Susan McLain began her career as a technical writer in technology industries such as satellite networking and medical devices. Her skills encompass technical and marketing writing, usability engineering, verification and validation testing and protocol writing, requirements development, business analysis, technical illustration/graphic design and marketing. She has owned her own business providing service to small to medium sized business and in other positions, she has been in project management, documentation and marketing. She is currently the content specialist for Avalara helping to “make sales tax less taxing.”