South Dakota Senior Sales Tax Refunds
- Mar 23, 2012 | Susan McLain
South Dakota has updated and revised their sales tax refund program for low-income elderly and disabled taxpayers.
The amended law provides that a “single-member household” qualifies if the claimants income is:
- $4,250 or less (Refund $258)
- $4,251 - $10,500 (Refund $46 plus 3.4% of difference between $10,500 and claimant’s income)
- $10,501 and above – No Refund
If there is more than one individual in the household, the qualifications are:
- $7,250 or less (Refund $581)
- $7,251 - $13,750 (Refund $74 plus 7.8% of difference between $13,750 and household income)
- $13,751 and above – No Refund
To be eligible:
- Must be 66 years old on or before January of 2012 OR
- Disabled during any part of the year (meaning you can receive Social Security Disability benefits, Supplemental Security Disability benefits, or you’re a veteran with a rated disability of 60% or higher)
- Must have been a South Dakota resident for the entire previous year
- Must meet the annual income requirements.
Applications can be found here….
According to the state, the Sales or Property Tax Refund Program has been in effect since 1974. Applications are accepted from May 1 through July 1. Refund checks begin to be issued at the end of August.