MyTax Illinois: New Online Tax Management System
- Sales Tax News
- Sep 27, 2012 | Gail Cole
Illinois has launched a new online tax account management system: MyTax Illinois. According to the Illinois Department of Revenue, MyTax Illinois provides "a centralized location" that gives taxpayers "the ability to take control of your sales tax accounts." MyTax Illinois was made public on September 24, 2012, and takes effect immediately.
An informational bulletin from the Illinois Department of Revenue (IDOR) states that MyTax Illinois "provides a centralized location on the … (IDOR) website for taxpayers to register a new business, file returns, make payments, and manage their tax accounts." The goal is to facilitate the process and help taxpayers have more control over their accounts.
The IDOR anticipates MyTax Illinois to take effect in three phases; the estimated date of completion is June 2013.
Phase 1 -- September 2012
- New business registration
- Sales, Use, and other related tax return filing, payment, and account management
- International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) registration, filing, payment, and account management
Phase 2 -- March 2013
- Excise tax return filing, payment, and account management
Phase 3 -- June 2013
- Withholding income tax return filing, payment, and account management
- Business income tax return filing, payment, and account management
- Individual income tax account management
The Illinois Department of Revenue recommends taxpayers activate a MyTax Illinois account as soon as possible. The process is "quick, easy, and free." However, patience is necessary, as it may take up to 60 days for accounts to be processed.