South Carolina Sales Tax Rate Changes, May 2013
- Sales Tax Rate Changes
- May 3, 2013 | Gail Cole
- Bamberg County (Capital Project Tax);
- Hampton County (Capital Project Tax);
- Lee County (Capital Project Tax);
- Marion County (Capital Project Tax); and
- Richland County (Transportation Tax).
As explained by the South Carolina Department of Revenue, the new taxes are "the result of voter approval...." The Capital Projects Tax "funds various capital projects in the county...."
Revenue generated by the Richland County Transportation Tax will fund improvements to highways, streets, bridges, sidewalks, bike paths, and the like. The penny tax was challenged by a Mr. Michael Letts, who took his case all the way to the South Carolina Supreme Court, where it died. Thus the tax stands.
With the new tax, the general tax rate for the counties listed above jumps to 8%.
Get Free Tax Rate Tables