District of Columbia Sales Tax Rate Change, October 2013
- Sales Tax Rate Changes
- Sep 19, 2013 | Gail Cole
The District of Columbia is lowering its sales and use tax rate. Effective October 1, 2013, the rate is decreasing from 6% to 5.75%. The new rate will apply to applicable sales made on or after October 1, 2013. The old rate of 6% applies to purchases made prior to October 1 but delivered on or after October 1.
Washington D.C. also has the following special rates, which are not changing:
- The rate for parking is 18%, proving that it pays to walk or ride that bicycle;
- The rate for transient accommodations is 14.5%;
- The rate for "other tobacco products" is 12%;
- The rate for prepaid telephone cards, rental or leasing or vehicles and certain utility trailers, food and beverages for immediate consumption, and liquor for off premise consumption is 10%; and
- The rate for medical marijuana is 6%.
Click here for the D.C. Office of Tax and Revenue official rate change notice.
Get Free Tax Rate Tables