Avalara Taxrates > Blog > Sales Tax Rate Changes > December 2013 New York Rate Changes - Avalara

December 2013 New York Rate Changes


 New York State December 2013 local sales tax rate changes.

The Department of Taxation and Finance has announced a number of upcoming local sales and use tax rate changes, all of which take effect December 1, 2013.

The sales and use tax rate in Essex County will increase from 3.75% to 4%, bringing the combined state and local rate to 8% from 7.75%.

The rate of sales and use tax in Hamilton County will increase from 3% to 4%; the combined state and local rate will therefore jump from 7% to 8%.

The rate of sales and use tax in Lewis County will increase from 3.75% to 4%. The new combined state and local rate will increase from 7.75% to 8%.

The rate of sales and use tax in St. Lawrence County will increase from 3% to 4%, and the combined state and local rate will jump from 7% to 8%.

Bucking the trend of rate increases is Ulster County, where the rate of sales and use tax will decrease from 4% to 3% on December 1. The combined state and local rate will drop to 7% from 8%.

How does your business stay on top of sales tax changes? An automated solution makes it simple.

Get Free Tax Rate Tables

New York State Rates


Sales tax rates, rules, and regulations change frequently. Although we hope you'll find this information helpful, this blog is for informational purposes only and does not provide legal or tax advice.
Gail Cole
Avalara Author
Gail Cole
Gail Cole
Avalara Author Gail Cole
Gail began researching and writing about sales tax in 2012 and has been fascinated with it ever since. She has a penchant for uncovering unusual tax facts, and endeavors to make complex sales tax laws more digestible for both experts and laypeople.