Avalara Taxrates > Blog > Sales Tax News > More SCOP Team Visits Planned for California - Avalara

More SCOP Team Visits Planned for California

  • Dec 17, 2013 | Gail Cole

 Have a business in Laguna Beach? Expect a visit from a BOE SCOP team member.

The State Board of Equalization is sending out another round of letters notifying businesses of upcoming visits by Statewide Compliance and Outreach Program (SCOP) teams.

SCOP teams will soon be visiting businesses in the following areas (zip codes):

  • Antelope (95843),
  • Camarillo (93010),
  • Ceres (95307),
  • Denair (95316),
  • Fillmore (93015 and 93016),
  • Fontana (92336),
  • Glendale (91206),
  • Grover Beach (93483),
  • Hughson (95326),
  • Isleton (95641),
  • Laguna Hills (92653),
  • Laguna Woods (92637),
  • Lake Elsinore (92532),
  • Lathrop (95330),
  • Manteca (95336 and 95337),
  • McClellan (95652),
  • Newbury Park (91320),
  • Newman (95360),
  • Patterson (95363),
  • Riverbank (95367),
  • Rosemead (91770),
  • Sacramento (95842),
  • Salida (95368),
  • San Bernardino (92404 and 92407),
  • San Jose (95110),
  • Santa Paula (93060 and 93061),
  • Sonoma (95476),
  • Turlock (95380 and 95382),
  • Union City (94587), and
  • Waterford (95386).

SCOP team members go door-to-door but do not visit home-based businesses. They ask only business-related questions; business owners should not reveal any personal financial information.

The purpose of the visits is to “verify that retailers are registered, and to ensure noncompliant businesses do not have an unfair advantage over registered businesses that are reporting their sales and use taxes and/or fees to BOE.”

Since the inception of the program in 2008, the teams have visited more than 410,000 businesses across the state. To date, more than 98% of businesses have been found to be compliant. The remaining 2% contribute "to more than $2 billion in uncollected sales and use taxes that make up part of the state’s ‘tax gap.’”

Additional information is available at the BOE SCOP web page.

Don’t break into a sweat when the SCOP teams come knocking. Switch to an automated sales tax solution.

Get Free Tax Rate Tables

California State Rates

photo credit: Ken Lund via photopin cc

Sales tax rates, rules, and regulations change frequently. Although we hope you'll find this information helpful, this blog is for informational purposes only and does not provide legal or tax advice.
Gail Cole
Avalara Author
Gail Cole
Gail Cole
Avalara Author Gail Cole
Gail began researching and writing about sales tax in 2012 and has been fascinated with it ever since. She has a penchant for uncovering unusual tax facts, and endeavors to make complex sales tax laws more digestible for both experts and laypeople.