Avalara Taxrates > Blog > Sales Tax News > California Compliance Teams Still On the Road - Avalara

California Compliance Teams Still On the Road

  • Feb 11, 2014 | Gail Cole

 SCOP teams to visit Joshua Tree, California.

Updated, 5.13.14: The BOE has announced an upcoming round of SCOP visits in the following locations: Bakersfield (93301), Baldwin Park (91706), Boulder Creek (95006), Cambria (93428), Carpinteria (93013 and 93014), Culver City (90230 and 90231), North Hollywood (91601), San Jose (95134 and 95136), San Juan Capistrano (92675 and 92691), Sutter Creek (95685), and Volcano (95689).

The California State Board of Equalization (BOE) has been operating an education outreach program for business owners since 2008. Teams from the Statewide Compliance and Outreach Program (SCOP) are visiting each and every business in the state, to “assure taxpayers that the state’s tax system is fair and equal for all Californians.”

Upcoming SCOP team visits are heralded by a letter from the BOE. The SCOP teams do not visit home-based businesses, and they do not inquire into personal finances. Only business-related activities are discussed, such as information about seller’s permits, California sales tax, and other pertinent information.

To date, more than 400,000 businesses have been visited. These visits reveal that more than 98% of California’s businesses have the correct permits. The remaining 2%, however, contribute to the “more than $2 billion in uncollected sales and use taxes that make up part of the state’s ‘tax gap’ – the difference between the amount of taxes owed and the amount paid….”

Letters announcing upcoming SCOP team visits are currently being mailed to 18,688 businesses in the following areas (with zip codes):

  • Atwater (95301),
  • Calabasas (91302),
  • Dos Palos (93620),
  • Glendale (91208, 91210),
  • Gustine (95322),
  • Hilmar (95324),
  • Inglewood (90301, 90302, 90303, 90304, 90305),
  • Joshua Tree (92252),
  • Landers (92285),
  • Livingston (95334),
  • Los Angeles (90015 and 90021),
  • Los Banos (93635),
  • Merced (95340, 95348),
  • Morongo Valley (92256),
  • Oakland (94611),
  • Orange (92865, 92866),
  • Orange/Villa Park (92861),
  • Sacramento (95826),
  • Thousand Oaks (91358),
  • Twentynine Palms (92277),
  • Winton (95388), and
  • Yucca Valley (92284).

Letters announcing SCOP visits were last mailed out in December 2013.

Do you sell into California? Are you compliant?

Get Free Tax Rate Tables

California State Rates

photo credit: L. Allen Brewer via photopin cc

Sales tax rates, rules, and regulations change frequently. Although we hope you'll find this information helpful, this blog is for informational purposes only and does not provide legal or tax advice.
Gail Cole
Avalara Author
Gail Cole
Gail Cole
Avalara Author Gail Cole
Gail began researching and writing about sales tax in 2012 and has been fascinated with it ever since. She has a penchant for uncovering unusual tax facts, and endeavors to make complex sales tax laws more digestible for both experts and laypeople.