Arkansas: August 2014 Sales Tax Holiday
- Apr 21, 2014 | Gail Cole
The Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration has announced the dates of the 2014 sales tax holiday for clothing and school supplies. It will begin at 12:01 on Saturday, August 2 and conclude at 11:59 on Sunday, August 3.
Many items are exempt from Arkansas sales tax during the tax-free period. These include:
- Clothing costing less than $100.00 per item. Examples include aprons and girdles, earmuffs and rubber pants, slippers and steel toed shoes.
- Clothing accessories and equipment costing less than $50.00 per item. Examples include briefcases, cosmetics, jewelry and wigs.
- School supplies commonly used by students in a course of study. Examples include binders, calculators, highlighters and paper.
- School art supplies commonly used by a student in a course of study for artwork. Examples include clay and glazes, paints and paintbrushes, and sketch and drawing pads.
- School instructional material used by a student in a course of study as a reference. Examples include reference books, textbooks, and workbooks.
Numerous items are not exempt during the 2014 Arkansas sales tax holiday. These include but are not limited to:
- Breathing masks;
- Ear and hearing protectors;
- Sewing machines and supplies;
- Shoes for ballet and tap dancing;
- Ski boots;
- Waders; and
- Wetsuits and fins.
A complete list of exempt and taxable items is available on the Department of Finance and Administration website.
Do you have customers in Arkansas? Learn how switching to an automated sales tax solution helps retailers manage sales tax holidays?