Avalara Taxrates > Blog > Sales Tax News > Where to File Hotel Tax for Annapolis Maryland - Avalara

Where to File Hotel Tax for Annapolis Maryland

  • May 8, 2014 | Gail Cole

 Sunrise in Annapolis, Maryland.

Arundel County, Maryland, may impose sales or use tax on the following:

  • Fuel and utilities used by commercial and industrial businesses;
  • Residential, commercial, and industrial telephone service; and
  • Space rentals other than for the docking or storing of boats.

Arundel County collects the first two taxes listed above, and distributes in equal amounts to the City of Annapolis and Anne Arundel County any tax revenue collected in the City of Annapolis.

The City of Annapolis collects revenue generated from the tax on space rentals.

And effective July 1, 2014, Anne Arundel County may authorize the City of Annapolis to collect revenue generated in the City of Annapolis from the hotel tax.” Any hotel tax revenue collected by the city must be distributed in the following manner:

  • 3% to the Arts Council of Anne Arundel County, Inc.; and
  • 17% to the Annapolis and Anne Arundel County Conference and Visitors Bureau.

The remaining 80% “shall be distributed to the City of Annapolis.”

Do you know where to file your taxes?

photo credit: Charlie Stinchcomb via photopin cc

Sales tax rates, rules, and regulations change frequently. Although we hope you'll find this information helpful, this blog is for informational purposes only and does not provide legal or tax advice.
Gail Cole
Avalara Author
Gail Cole
Gail Cole
Avalara Author Gail Cole
Gail began researching and writing about sales tax in 2012 and has been fascinated with it ever since. She has a penchant for uncovering unusual tax facts, and endeavors to make complex sales tax laws more digestible for both experts and laypeople.