Florida: New Mobile App for Taxpayers
- Sep 29, 2014 | Gail Cole
The Florida Department of Revenue has announced the release of a new sales tax certificate verification mobile app. It is designed to help Florida businesses verify sales tax resale or exemption certificates before making tax-exempt sales. FL-Tax – Sales Tax Certificate Verification is ideal for business transactions completed away from the office or computer.
The free app is designed for iPhones and iPads, Android phones and tablets, and Windows Phones. After the customer’s Florida sales tax or exemption certificate number is entered into the Buyer field, the app provides an immediate Valid or Not Valid response. A verification response report, stored in app as long as memory permits, can also be emailed.
The verification report includes the following information:
- Date and time of transaction
- Buyer’s name (when their certificate is valid)
- Buyer’s sales tax or tax exemption certificate number
- Verification response short-text indicator (Pass or Fail)
- Response details including transaction authorization number (when valid)
The Florida Department of Revenue is among the first revenue departments to embrace mobile apps. Others include:
- The California State Board of Equalization offers two mobile apps: BOE ePay for iPhone, Androids and other mobile devices with a browser, which allows users to make electronic payments and manage user account details on mobile devices; BOE Application enables taxpayers to find the closest available BOE office and verify permits.
- The Washington State Department of Revenue has a Tax Rate Lookup App, which is available for Android and iOS.
- The Minnesota Department of Revenue is currently working to develop an app.
Sales tax automation software simplifies sales tax on all fronts. Learn more.