Avalara Taxrates > Blog > Sales Tax Rate Changes > Florida Sales Tax Rate Changes, January 2015 - Avalara

Florida Sales Tax Rate Changes, January 2015


 Quite a bit.

Last updated, 2.1.2015: The Department of Revenue has updated the History of Local Sales Tax and Current Rates.

The Florida Department of Revenue has released discretionary sales surtax information for 2015. The notice reminds sellers in Florida to verify, collect and remit the proper amount of surtax for each transaction--on taxable sales, services, use or delivery made within each county.

The following counties have new rates beginning January 1, 2015:

  • Brevard: imposes a new 0.5% surtax.
  • Charlotte: extends the 1% infrastructure surtax that was set to expire on December 31, 2014.
  • DeSoto: imposes a new 0.5% indigent health care surtax, for a total local rate of 1.5%. In addition, the┬átourist development tax, which applies to all taxable transient rental charges, increases from 2% to 3%.
  • Gulf: increases the┬álocal option tourist development tax from 4% to 5%.
  • Hernando: the 0.5% surtax expires on December 31, 2014. No new surtax.
  • Seminole: imposes a new 1% infrastructure surtax.

Other county surtax changes:

  • Escambia: extends the 1% infrastructure surtax to 2028 and the 0.5% school surtax to 2027. Both were set to expire in 2017.
  • Highlands: the 1% infrastructure surtax set to expire in 2018 is extended to 2033.
  • Leon: extends the 1% infrastructure surtax set to expire in 2019 to 2039; the current 0.5% surtax remains in effect until 2027, for a total rate of 1.5%.
  • Monroe: the 0.5% school surtax set to expire in 2015 is extended to 2025; the current 1% surtax remains in effect until 2033, for a total rate of 1.5%.
  • Orange: the 0.5% school surtax set to expire in 2015 is extended to 2025.
  • Volusia: the 0.5% school surtax set to expire in 2016 is extended to 2031.

Additional information, including other county discretionary surtax rates and expiration dates, is on the Florida Department of Revenue website.

Simplify sales tax management in Florida and other states by implementing automated sales tax software as a service. Learn more.

photo credit: SomeDriftwood via photopin cc


Gail Cole
Avalara Author
Gail Cole
Gail Cole
Avalara Author Gail Cole
Gail began researching and writing about sales tax in 2012 and has been fascinated with it ever since. She has a penchant for uncovering unusual tax facts, and endeavors to make complex sales tax laws more digestible for both experts and laypeople.