2015 Sales Tax Holidays
- Sales Tax News
- Apr 3, 2015 | Gail Cole
Last updated 1.7.2016
The Virginia legislation consolidating three tax-free periods into one August weekend takes effect on July 1, 2015. Since it predates that, the Virginia sales tax holiday for hurricane preparedness supplies will take place in May this year. In subsequent years, it will occur in August.
At least seventeen states offered more than 25 sales tax holidays in 2014. In 2015, there could be even more.
The following sales tax holidays are confirmed for 2015:
- Back-to-school sales tax holiday, August 1-2.
- Clothing and footwear less than $100 per item, August 16-22
- Clothes, school supplies, personal computers and accessories, August 7 - 16.
- Clothing and footwear, school supplies, certain computers, July 31-August 1.
- Certain energy efficient products, October 2-4. See 2014-2015 Sales Tax Holidays.
- Clothing and footwear, August 7-8.
- Sales tax holiday for most tangible personal property costing $2,500.00 or less, August 15-16.
- New Mexico:
- Back to school tax free holiday, August 7-9.
- Clothing and footwear, August 7-9
- Puerto Rico:
- School supplies and school uniforms, January 16-17.
- South Carolina:
- School supplies, clothing and computers, August 7 -9.
- Sales tax holiday for hurricane preparedness supplies, May 25-31.
- The August 7-9 sales tax holiday is three tax-free periods rolled into one: a back-to-school sales tax holiday for certain school supplies, clothing and footwear; a sales tax holiday for Energy Star and WaterSense-labeled energy efficient products; and another hurricane preparedness tax-free period.
The following states have proposed new sales tax holidays:
- Tennessee: A Second Amendment sales tax holiday for hunting supplies was proposed in SB 206, introduced in March 2015. It failed.
- Texas: Two sales tax holidays for firearms and hunting supplies are proposed in 2015: SB 228 and HB 849. Consideration of both bills has stalled.
Temporary tax-free periods can hugely impact businesses that sell affected items. Read Amazon's take on sales tax holidays.
Find accurate tax rates for all localities with this free sales tax rate map.