South Carolina Sales Tax Holiday, August 2015
- Sales Tax News
- May 26, 2015 | Gail Cole
The South Carolina Department of Revenue has released information pertaining to the state’s annual sales tax holiday, which will take place this year from 12:01 a.m. Friday, August 7 through midnight, Sunday, August 9.
During the tax-free period, items that are exempt from South Carolina state and local sales tax include the following:
- Bath rugs and towels, wash cloths, shower curtains
- Bedding (bed linens, blankets)
- Clothing accessories such as handbags, hats, hosiery, and scarves
- Computers and computer software
- Printers and printer supplies
- School supplies
Taxable items (not eligible for the holiday exemption) include the following:
- Items purchased for use in a business
- Items placed on layaway or other deferred payment plan
- The rental of clothing or footwear
Additional information is available through the department.
More than a dozen states are offering sales tax holidays in 2015. While they are advantageous for savvy shoppers, they create extra work and headaches for retailers. Implementing an automated solution facilitates management of sales tax in South Carolina and other states, even during tax-free periods. Learn more.