Massachusetts Lawmakers Have Much to Talk About
- Jun 12, 2015 | Gail Cole
When it comes to sales tax, lawmakers in Massachusetts have much to talk about these days. Fortunately, the legislative session in the Bay State is quite lengthy, running early January to mid-November this year.
- Senate Bill 1541 would promote sales tax fairness for Main Street retailers through minimum simplification.
- House Bill 2697 would create a sales tax exemption for art.
- House Bill 2551 would create a sales tax holiday August 13-14, 2015.
- Senate Bill 237 would create a permanent annual sales tax holiday.
- House Bill 2564 would create an Energy Star sales tax holiday, August 13-14, 2015.
To date, hearings have been held for the Senate bill seeking a permanent annual sales tax holiday, the House bill proposing a tax-free period for Energy Star products, and the measure regarding sales tax fairness.
This hints at the challenge of sales tax compliance, particularly for businesses required to collect in multiple states. It takes vigilance, patience, and exactitude.
Simplify sales tax. Learn how.