Texas Sales Tax Holiday, August 2015
- Jun 23, 2015 | Gail Cole
The Texas Comptroller reminds taxpayers that the Texas 2015 annual sales tax holiday for certain school supplies, clothing and backpacks runs from 12:01 a.m. August 7 through midnight, August 9.
During the tax-free period, the following items are exempt from state and local sales taxes:
- Sales of most clothing priced under $100 per item/pair
- School backpacks costing $99.99 or less
- Most school supplies (for use by elementary or secondary school students) costing less than $100 per item
The tax-free period does not apply to the following:
- Accessories such as jewelry, purses, umbrellas and wallets
- Alterations of clothing, footwear
- Briefcases or computer bags
- Gym bags
- Rentals of clothing, footwear
Qualifying products purchased with a rain check are eligible for the exemption “regardless of when the rain check was issued.” However, if a seller issues a rain check during the tax-free period for redemption after the holiday, sales tax applies.
Sales tax holidays may bring customers through the doors but they also create an additional burden for sellers. Learn how an automated solution can make sales tax reporting simpler and more effective.