Virginia Fuels Tax Rates, July 2015
- Fuel Tax News
- Jun 25, 2015 | Gail Cole
Twice annually, the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles is required by law to determine the statewide average wholesale price of a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel, which it uses to calculate Virginia fuel tax rates.
For the period July 1, 2015 through December 31, 2015, the average price per gallon for purposes of calculating the tax remains unchanged. Fuel tax rates therefore are the same as the January 1 – June 30, 2015 rates, which are as follows:
- Gasoline: Sixteen and two-tenth cents (0.162) per gallon
- Diesel: Twenty and two-tenths cents (0.202) per gallon
- Blended fuel (gasoline): Sixteen and two-tenth cents (0.162) per gallon
- Blended fuels (diesel): Twenty and two-tenths cents (0.202) per gallon
- Aviation fuels: Five cents (0.05) per gallon
- Alternative fuels: Sixteen and two-tenth cents (0.162) per GGE
In their quest for revenue, Virginia lawmakers have linked the state fuel tax rates to the fate of Internet sales tax. Should the federal government grant states the authority to impose sales tax on sales by certain out-of-state sellers, the above rates will change. Please see the Department of Motor Vehicles for additional information.
Facilitate fuel tax compliance in Virginia and other states by implementing an automated solution. Learn more.