Oklahoma Sales Tax Holiday, August 2015
- Jul 10, 2015 | Gail Cole
In 2015, Oklahoma’s annual sales tax holiday will take place the weekend of August 7-9, beginning at 12:01 a.m. on the 7th and concluding at midnight on the 9th. During that time, select items are exempt from retail sales tax.
Clothing or footwear costing less than $100
- Clothing or footwear costing less than $100 that is not designed to be worn on or about the human body (think dog sweaters)
- The rental of clothing or footwear
- Special clothing or footwear (such as that worn specifically for athletic activity or protective use)
- Eligible layaway items qualify for the exemption provided final payment is made and the customer takes possession of the item during the holiday.
- If a coupon reduces the price of an eligible item to less than $100, it qualifies for the sales tax exemption.
- Items purchased by mail, catalog or Internet qualify for the tax-free period “if the customer orders and pays for the item and the retailer accepts the order during the exemption period for immediate shipment, even if delivery is made after the exemption period.”
- An eligible item purchased during the tax-free period with a previously issued raincheck would be exempt. However, rainchecks issued during the holiday for qualifying items do not entitle the customer to a tax-free purchase if the sales transaction takes place after the tax-free period.
- Every business that makes sales in Oklahoma is required to honor the tax-free period.
There are more than a dozen sales tax holidays this year. Do they affect your business?