Louisiana Tax Amnesty Starts November 16, 2015
- Sales Tax News
- Nov 6, 2015 | Gail Cole
Update 11.23.2015: Louisiana Tax Amnesty 2015 has been delayed and will now run December 1-31, 2015. Additional information.
The Louisiana Department of Revenue has released details about the 2015 tax amnesty program, which will run from November 16 through December 15, 2015. Once it concludes, there will be no tax amnesty programs in Louisiana until after January 1, 2025.
During the amnesty period, “individual and business taxpayers are offered a fresh start to bring their delinquent tax accounts up to date by clearing unpaid tax bills and filing overdue state tax returns.” Secretary of Revenue Tim Barfield encourages taxpayers to take advantage of this program, noting, “This will be the final amnesty program offered by the state for at least 10 years.”
Taxpayers are eligible for amnesty if they:
- Failed to file a tax return or report
- Failed to report all income or all tax, interest and penalties that were due
- Claimed incorrect credits or deductions
- Misrepresented or omitted any tax due
Certain taxpayers in the midst of an audit or litigation may also be eligible. However, anyone involved in a criminal investigation or litigation for taxes administered by the Louisiana Department of Revenue is not eligible.
Successful participants will pay the following:
- 100% of delinquent taxes (installment agreements available)
- 83% of the remaining interest
- 67% of the remaining penalties
Sales tax software helps businesses pay the tax owed, on time. Learn how it works.