Florida: First Budget Sales Tax Plan
- Dec 1, 2015 | Gail Cole
Governor Rick Scott has released a budget proposal that he claims will diversify the state's economy and make Florida #1 for job growth. Scott's Florida First Budget also cuts $1 billion in taxes and decreases the number of state employees by 864.
Proposed sales tax changes (with $ tax cuts):
- Create two one-time sales tax holidays ($72.8 million)
- 10-day back-to-school sales tax holiday
- 9-day disaster preparedness sales tax holiday
- Extend the sales tax exemption on college textbooks for 1 year ($46 million)
- Permanently eliminate the tax on manufacturing machinery and equipment ($76.9 million)
- Reduce the tax on commercial leases ($339 million)
The budget proposal is sure to spark much discussion in the Legislature when the regular session starts on January 12, 2016. Read the complete budget recommendation here.
Get up-to-date sales tax news in our free monthly newsletter.