Louisiana State Sales Tax Rate Increase, April 2016
- Sales Tax Rate Changes
- March 17, 2016 | Gail Cole
It’s official: after much discussion, state legislators have agreed to increase the Louisiana state sales tax rate by one percent (1%) on April 1, 2016. The 1% sales tax rate increase will remain in effect through June 30, 2018.
The extra 1% does not apply to many sales transactions, including but not limited to the following:
- Food for home consumption
- Installation charges on tangible personal property
- Natural gas, water and electric (as provided in Article VII, Section 2.2 of the Louisiana Constitution)
- Prescription drugs
- Sales to the U.S. government and its agencies
- Vending machine (coin-operated) sales
Simplify sales and use tax compliance in all states with sales tax software (SaaS). Learn more.