North Carolina Sales Tax Changes Take Effect Today
- Sales Tax News
- Mar 1, 2016 | Gail Cole
Beginning today, March 1, 2016, numerous previously untaxed services are subject to North Carolina sales and use tax.
These changes were announced months ago to enable service providers to make the necessary changes to their point of sale systems. Sales and use tax now applies to a variety of repair, maintenance and installation services, including but not limited to:
- Car washing / detailing services
- Motor vehicle painting and refinishing services
- Shoe repair labor or services
- Tire recapping or retreading labor or services
- Watch, clock and jewelry repair labor or services
Additional information is available on this North Carolina Department of Revenue Important Notice.
Changes in product and service taxability create sales and use tax compliance hassles for the businesses that sell them. Avalara AvaTax facilitates sales and use tax compliance by automating it. Learn more.