Florida August 2016 Sales Tax Holiday
- Sales Tax News
- Apr 14, 2016 | Gail Cole
Details of the proposed Florida August sales tax holiday have been determined. Governor Scott had hoped to provide for more and longer tax-free periods in the budget but he did not get his wish. Still, one brief holiday is better than none.
The 2016 sales tax holiday for clothing and school supplies created by HB 7099 will be held from 12:01 a.m. on August 5 through 11:59 p.m. August 7.
- Clothing wallets or bags, including handbags, backpacks, fanny packs, and diaper bags with a sales price of $60 or less per item
- School supplies with a sales price of $15 or less per items. Includes calculators, computer disks, erasers, glue, lunch boxes, pencils, pens, poster board, tape
- Briefcases, suitcases and other garment bags
- Handkerchiefs, jewelry, watchbands, watches, and umbrellas
- Skis, swim fins, roller blades, skates
- Any eligible products when sold within an airport, entertainment complex, public lodging establishment, or theme park
The sales tax holiday is mandatory for most sellers. However, ‘if less than 5 percent of the dealer’s gross sales of tangible personal property in the prior calendar year are comprised of items that would be exempt under this section,” participation is optional.
Any dealer opting to not participate must notify the Florida Department of Revenue in writing by August 1, 2016. Notice of non-participation must also be posted “in a conspicuous location at its place of business.”
More than a dozen states are offering sales tax holidays in 2016. Already complex, sales tax compliance becomes even more onerous during tax-free periods. Sales tax software (SaaS) makes compliance more manageable. Learn how it works.