Texas Tax-Free Period, April 2016
- Sales Tax News
- Apr 20, 2016 | Gail Cole
Update, 4.28.2016: Updated regulations regarding buy one, get one free, delivery, shipping and more are available at Texas Admin Code § 3.353.
Texas is subject to prolonged periods of drought, devastating fires, and destructive floods, hurricanes, and tornados. Recent flooding in the Houston area has killed more than half-a dozen people and stranded more than 1,000. How, when and where disaster will next strike is often unknown, but it is certain that it will strike.
Preparing for eventual disaster can help mitigate its ill-effects. Therefore, to encourage people to prepare, the state is providing an annual sales tax holiday for emergency preparation supplies from 12:01 a.m. on April 23 through midnight, April 25, 2016. It comes late for the people affected by this week's floods, but better late than never.
During the tax-free period, many essential items are exempt from state and local sales and use tax.
- Hurricane shutters and emergency ladders with a sales price less than $300
- Portable generators with a sales price less than $3,000
- The following products when sold for less than $75:
- Batteries (AAA, AA, C, D, 6 volt, 9 volt)
- First aid kits
- Fuel containers
- Mobile telephone batteries and charges
- Nonelectric coolers and ice chests for food storage
- Nonelectric can openers
- Portable self-powered light sources
- Portable self-powered radios
- Reusable and artificial ice products
- Smoke detectors, fire extinguishers and carbon monoxide detectors
- Tarps and other plastic sheeting
- Batteries for automobiles, boats, motorized vehicles
- Camping stoves and supplies
- Extension ladders and step ladders
- Repair and replacement parts for emergency preparation supplies
- Services performed on and related to emergency preparation supplies
Charges for delivery, handling and shipping are considered part of the sales price. Additional information.
There will be more than twenty tax-free periods in 2016, causing a compliance nightmare for businesses selling qualifying goods. Sales tax software (SaaS) makes managing sales tax manageable at all times. Learn more.