Georgia tax rate changes, July 2016
- Sales Tax Rate Changes
- Jun 6, 2016 | Gail Cole
Several tax rate changes tax effect in Georgia on July 1, 2016.
The rate in Randolph County decreases from 8% to 7%.
Prepaid sales tax on all motor fuel sold in the State of Georgia must be remitted by all licensed motor fuel distributors (suppliers and wholesalers). The tax is due at the same time as the state excise tax. For the period July 1 – December 31, 2016, prepaid sales tax rates are based on the following average retail sales prices:
- Gasoline: $1.813 per gallon
- Diesel (clear/dyed): $1.836 per gallon
- Aviation gasoline: $3.00 per gallon
- Liquid petroleum gas (LPG): $1.954 per gallon
- Special fuel, including compressed natural gas (CNG): $1.750 per gallon
State excise tax must be collected by licensed distributors on all sales of motor fuel to any purchaser not licensed as a Georgia distributor. Rates in effect since July 2015 remain in effect through December 31, 2016. They are:
- Gasoline: $0.26 per gallon
- Diesel (clear/dyed): $0.29 per gallon
- Aviation gasoline: $0.01 per gallon
- Liquid petroleum gas (LPG): $0.26 per gallon
- Special fuel, including compressed natural gas (CNG): $0.26 per gallon
Something to look forward to
Beginning January 1, 2017, there will be a new preliminary excise tax rate. For details, please click on the above “state excise tax” link.
Avalara AvaTax enables businesses to keep up with changing rates and product taxability rules and efficiently handle returns and exemption certificates. Learn more.