Avalara Taxrates > Blog > Sales Tax Rate Changes > Atlanta sales tax rate change, March 2017 - Avalara

Atlanta sales tax rate change, March 2017

  • Dec 20, 2016 | Gail Cole

 A sales tax rate increase will fund public transit improvements in Atlanta.

Beginning March 1, 2017, the local sales and use tax rate in Atlanta, Georgia, will increase from 1% to 1.5%. With the Fulton County rate of 7%, the combined state and local rate in the city will be 8.5%.

The rate increase is due to the imposition of a new 0.5% Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA) sales and use tax, which was approved by voters on November 8, 2016. It’s expected to generate approximately $2.5 billion over the next 40 years, money that will go toward improving the existing high-capacity rail system, building new infill rail stations, purchasing new buses, and adding bus routes and service. Additional information.

Tax automation software helps simplify sales and use tax compliance for businesses of all sizes, in all states. Learn more.

photo credit: Highway Insomnia via photopin (license)

Sales tax rates, rules, and regulations change frequently. Although we hope you'll find this information helpful, this blog is for informational purposes only and does not provide legal or tax advice.
Gail Cole
Avalara Author
Gail Cole
Gail Cole
Avalara Author Gail Cole
Gail began researching and writing about sales tax in 2012 and has been fascinated with it ever since. She has a penchant for uncovering unusual tax facts, and endeavors to make complex sales tax laws more digestible for both experts and laypeople.