Avalara Taxrates > Blog > Sales Tax Rate Changes > Alabama sales tax rate changes, February 2017 - Avalara

Alabama sales tax rate changes, February 2017


 Alabama sales tax rates, February 2017.

Several local sales and use tax changes took effect in Alabama on February 1, 2017.

Gardendale has levied a local lodgings tax of 8%.

Hanceville has levied a sales and use tax of 0.5% on all taxable sales, for a new local rate of 5% and a new combined rate of 9%. The rate for sales made outside the corporate limits of town but within the police jurisdiction is half of that.

Jackson has increased local rental and lodgings tax from 4% to 5%, for a new combined rate of 9%. The rate for sales made outside the corporate limits of town but within the police jurisdiction is half of that.

In addition to rate changes, several administrative changes took effect on February 1, 2017:

  • The Alabama Department of Revenue now collects and administers rental tax for the City of Argo
  • The following localities have taken on collection administration of local taxes in place of the Alabama Department of Revenue:
    • Coosa County
    • Goodwater
    • Thomaston

Additional information is available from the Alabama Department of Revenue.

Administrative and tax rate changes complicate compliance for businesses of all sizes. Tax automation software simplifies it. Learn more.


Gail Cole
Avalara Author
Gail Cole
Gail Cole
Avalara Author Gail Cole
Gail began researching and writing about sales tax in 2012 and has been fascinated with it ever since. She has a penchant for uncovering unusual tax facts, and endeavors to make complex sales tax laws more digestible for both experts and laypeople.