Louisiana sales tax changes

Tracking state and local sales tax rate and rule changes in Louisiana


Louisiana sales tax changes effective July, 2019

Effective July 1, 2019, the sales and use tax rate in Allen Parish will increase by 1.00%. The updated total tax rate for each jurisdiction in Allen Parish can be seen below.

Jurisdiction School Board Parish Council Law Enforcement City/Town Combined Local Rate State Rate Total Rate
Balance of Parish 3.00% 0.70% 1.00% None 4.70% 4.45% 9.15%
Kinder 3.00% 0.70% 1.00% 1.30% 6.00% 4.45% 10.45%
Oberlin 3.00% 0.70% 1.00% 1.30% 6.00% 4.45% 10.45
Elizabeth 3.00% 0.70% 1.00% 1.30% 6.00% 4.45% 10.45
Oakdale 3.00% 0.70% 1.00% 1.30% 6.00% 4.45% 10.45
Reeves 3.00% 0.70% 1.00% 1.00% 5.70% 4.45% 10.15%

For additional details, see the Louisiana Administration of Tax Administrators.

Louisiana Sales Tax Rate Guide

Sales tax guide for Louisiana businesses

Our free, online guide covers all aspects of managing Louisiana sales tax compliance. Topics include:

  • Business registration
  • Collecting sales tax
  • Filing sales tax returns
  • State nexus obligations
  • And more!

Visit the guide

Louisiana sales tax changes archive

It can be hard to track down local sales tax rate changes in Louisiana. Local sales tax isn’t administered by the Louisiana Department of Revenue, so the department doesn’t post rate changes. Instead, these can be found (usually after a lengthy search) on the Louisiana Association of Tax Administrators website.

The following local sales and use tax rate changes took effect in Louisiana on January 1, 2019.

The sales and use tax rate in Allen Parish dropped by 1%, for a combined local rate of 3.7% and a total rate of 8.15%. This affects the rates in the following jurisdictions (listed with new total rate):

  • Elizabeth, 9.45%
  • Kinder, 9.45%
  • Oakdale, 9.45%
  • Oberlin, 9.45%
  • Reeves, 9.15%

There was a 0.5% sales tax rate increase in a special district in Iberia Parish: the City of New Iberia Hwy 14 TIF District. The new combined local rate in the district is 5.75%, and the new total rate is 10.2%. In addition, there are New Iberia Annexations, which have a combined local rate of 5.25% and a total rate of 9.7%.

Lincoln Parish added Ruston Economic Development District (EDD) #1, with a combined local rate of 7.25% and a total rate of 11.7%.

St. Landry Parish added the Opelousas Downtown Development District (DDD) EDD, which has a combined local rate of 6.75% and a total rate of 11.2%. 

Taxing jurisdictions may enforce different sales and use tax exemptions. It's always best to check with each jurisdiction for details.


Sales and use tax compliance can be challenging in all states, but it’s particularly so in Louisiana. Just look at the local sales and use tax rate changes effective Jan. 1, 2018.

Iberia Parish

In the Iberia Parish, the city of New Iberia increased the sales and use tax rate by 0.5%. As a result, the rate in much of incorporated New Iberia jumped from 4.5 to 5%. However, in “two very small areas of Iberia Parish that were incorporated into the city limits of New Iberia,” the rate increased from 4.75 to 5.25%. Additional information.

St. Landry Parish

The Harry Guilbeau Area Economic Development District (EDD) has been expanded and renamed the Central St. Landry EDD; its tax rate was reduced from 2 to 1%.

In addition, the combined local rate of tax in the parish dropped from 7.55% to 6.75% for transactions occurring in or delivered within the newly expanded Central St. Landry EDD and within the corporate city limits of Opelousas. For transactions occurring within the newly extended district in the unincorporated part of Opelousas, the rate has dropped to 6.55%. Additional information.

St. Tammany Parish

St. Tammany Parish has repealed a local 0.75% sales tax in the following economic development districts (EDD):

  • Airport Road EDD
  • Hwy 1077 EDD
  • Hwy 1088 EDD
  • Hwy 434 EDD
  • Hwy 59 EDD

All sales previously reported under the above EDD should now be reported under District 3, which has a local rate of 4.75%.

In addition, the boundaries of the Hwy 21 EDD have been adjusted. The local rate for the district is 5.5%. Additional information.


There have been several local sales and use tax rate changes in Louisiana since the start of 2017. Since parishes oversee the collection and administration of their own taxes, these changes aren’t typically announced on the Louisiana Department of Revenue website. As a result, finding them takes a bit of detective work.

Rate changes effective Jan. 1, 2017

Starting Jan. 1, there are four new economic development districts (EDD) in Minden, Webster Parish: Minden EDD #1, Minden EDD #2, Minden EDD #3, and Minden EDD #4. Each has a combined rate of 12%.

St. Tammany Parish created five new economic development districts along I-12: Hwy 59 EDD, Hwy 1077 EDD, Hwy 1088 EDD, Hwy 434 EDD, and Airport Rd EDD. Each has a combined tax rate 10.5%. The Parish also expanded the boundaries of the Nord du Lac district and renamed it Hwy 21 EDD.

In addition, the interest rate on unpaid taxes in Caddo Parish increased from 0.583% to 0.604% per month on Jan. 1, 2017.

Rate changes effective April 1, 2017

Sales and use tax in the town of Boyce, Rapides Parish, increased by 1% as of April 1. The new combined rate in Boyce is 10.5%.

Sales and use tax in Carencro, Lafayette Parish, also increased by 1%. The new rate in Carencro’s I-49 EDD is 6%, for a combined rate of 11%. The new rate outside the Carencro I-49 EDD is 5%, for a combined rate of 10%.

Rate changes effective July 1, 2017

Sales and use tax in Natchitoches Parish increased by 0.5%, to 9%. This change affects the following cities (listed with new rates):

  • Campti, 10.5
  • Clarence, 10%
  • Natchez, 10%
  • Natchitoches, 10.5%
  • Robeline, 10%

The sales and use tax rate in St. John the Baptist Parish increased from 10% to 10.25%.

To date, no rate changes have been announced for the fourth quarter of 2017.


Numerous local sales and use tax rate changes are in effect in Louisiana as of July 1, 2016.

Calcasieu Parish

There is a new Executive Economic Development District with a local rate of 2% and a combined rate of 12.75%.

Lafourche Parish

The local rate in the City of Thibodaux increased from 2% to 2.5%, for a new tax rate of 9.95%.

Lincoln Parish

The local rate in the City of Ruston increased from 1.75% to 2.5%. The new combined rate is 10.5%.

Ouachita Parish

West Ouachita Parish added a 0.39% local tax, for a combined rate of 10.99%.

Rapides Parish

The parish-wide school board tax increased from by 0.5%. New combined state and local tax rates are as follows:

  • Alexandria, 10.5%
  • Ball, 10.5%
  • Boyce, 9.5%
  • Cheneyville, 9.5%
  • Fire District 17, 9.5%
  • Glenmora, 10%
  • Lecompte, 10%
  • Pineville, 10.5%
  • Woodworth, 10.5%
  • All Other Areas, 8.5%

The above taxes are administered by the Louisiana Association of Tax Administrators, not the Louisiana Department of Revenue.


7.15.2016: The combined rates have been updated to reflect the April 1, 2016 1% state sales tax rate increase.

The following local sales tax rate changes take effect in Louisiana on April 1, 2016.

Catahoula Parish

  • The sales and use tax rate within the Town of Jonesville is increasing by 1%. The new combined local rate is 7% and the total rate is 12%.

Lincoln Parish

  • The City of Grambling has a new Economic Development District. The Grambling EDD has a combined local rate of 5.75% and a total rate of 10.75%.

Ouachita Parish

  • The sales tax rate for the Town of Sterlington is increasing by 0.5%, for a new combined local rate of 6.5% and a total rate of 11.5%.

St. Landry Parish

  • The Town of Grand Coteau has a new Economic Development District. The Grand Coteau EDD has a combined local rate of 7.55% and a total rate of 12.55%.

Several local sales tax rate changes will take effect in Louisiana on January 1, 2016.

Ascension Parish

The total rate will increase from 10% to 11% in the Donaldsonville-Annexation of Ascension Parish.

Beauregard Paris

The Town of Merryville in Beauregard Parish will levy a new ¼% sales and use tax, applicable to all taxable transactions. The combined local rate in Merryville will be 9%.

Calcasieu Parish

The local rate in the City of Lake Charles, Calcasieu Parish, will jump 0.25% to 5.75%, for a new combined rate of 9.75%.

The new Hope Economic Development District will levy a 2% sales tax and a 2% hotel occupancy tax. The combined rate for the Hope EDD will be 11.75%.

Plaquemines Parish

The Plaquemines Parish School District will add a 0.5% tax:

  • Parishwide – Food, Drug & Commercial Fishermen: The total rate jumps to 5.5% from 5%
  • Parishwide – General: The total rate jumps to 8.5% from 8%

St. Tammany Parish

The city/town sales tax rate in the Village of Folsom, St. Tammany Parish, will increase by 0.5%, for a new total rate of 9.25%.


The local Parish Council sales tax in Lafayette Parish, Louisiana, expired on November 30, 2015. Effective December 1, 2105, the total rates are as follows:

  • City of Lafayette (excluding EDD), 8%
  • Lafayette Including 1-10 @ MM 103- EDD, 9%
  • Broussard inside Lafayette Parish, 8.5%
  • Broussard inside St. Martin Parish, 10%
  • Carencro outside 1-49 EDD, 8%
  • Carencro inside 1-49 EDD, 9%
  • Duson inside Lafayette Parish, 8%
  • Duson inside Acadia Parish, 9.25%
  • Scott outside EDDS, 8%
  • Scott inside Apollo EDD, 9%
  • Scott inside Destination Point EDD, 9%
  • 9.5%

The Balance of Parish (unincorporated) retains a 1% Parish Council and 1% Law Enforcement sales taxes, for a new total rate of 8%. Additional information.

Quarterly filers are required to file monthly for the fourth quarter of 2015 because the rate change took effect mid-quarter. Learn more.


Several local sales tax rate changes took effect in Louisiana on July 1, 2015.

Caddo Parish

Caddo Parish levied a 1% sales and use tax to raise revenue for Fire District No. 1.

  • A new column is added to Caddo Parish: Fire District No. 1 has a combined local rate of 4.35% and a total rate of 8.35%.
  • The local sales and use tax rate in Blanchard increases to 5.35% and the total rate jumps to 9.35%.

Click here for additional information.

Calcasieu Parish

All columns of the Calcasieu Parish tax return are subject to the 0.5% rate increase.

  • The combined local rate is 5.75% and the total rate is 9.75% for the following:
    • Balance of the Parish inside and outside Ward 1
    • Sulphur
    • Iowa
    • Dequincy
    • Vinton
    • Westlake
  • The combined local rate is 5.5% and the total rate is 9.5% for the following:
    • Lake Charles

Click here for additional information.

Claiborne Parish

All columns of the Claiborne Parish tax return are subject to the new Hospital Tax. Rates are as follows (combined local rate; total rate):

  • Balance of Parish: 3.625%; 7.625%
  • Homer: 6.00%; 10.00%
  • Haynesville: 4.625%; 8.625%
  • Junction City: 4.625%; 8.625%
  • Athens: 4.625%; 8.625%

Click here for additional information.

Lafourche Parish

The sales tax rate increased by 0.25% within the Parish of Lafourche and North Lafourche Levee District boundaries. Rates are as follows (local rate, total rate):

  • City of Golden Meadow: 5.40%; 9.40%
  • City of Thibodaux: 4.45%; 8.45%
  • Town of Lockport: 5.15%; 9.15%
  • Consolidated District A: 5.15%; 9.15%
  • Road District #2 South of Intracoastal Canal: 5.40%; 9.40%
  • Road District #2 North of the Intracoastal Canal: 4.65%; 8.65%

Click here or here for additional information.

Winn Parish

The sales tax rate increased by 0.50% within the City of Winnfield and in the Balance of the Parish, to raise revenue for the Police Jury. Rates are as follows (combined local; total):

  • Winn Parish within the City of Winnfield: 5.5%; 9.5%
  • Balance of Parish: 4.0%; 8.0%

Click here for additional information.


There are local sales tax rate changes in Louisiana, effective April 1, 2015.

Iberia Parish has a new jurisdiction, New Iberia Annexations. The combined local rate of 4.75% is broken down as follows:

  • School board: 2%
  • LED: 0.25%
  • City/Town: 2%
  • Mosquito: 0.25%
  • Recreation: 0.25%

When combined with the state rate of 4%, the total rate of sales tax in New Iberia Annexations, Iberia Parish, is 8.75%.

There is a new 2% Occupancy Tax in Plaquemines Parish.

Forest Hill, in Rapides Parish, is no longer imposing a 0.5% city sales tax. In the rate table effective 4.1.2015, Forest Hill is included in “All Other Areas,” with a combined state and local rate of 7%. The new Fire District 17 has a combined state and local rate of 8%.

There is a new jurisdiction in West Carroll Parish. The Village of Epps has a local rate of 5.5%, broken down as follows:

  • School board: 2%
  • Police Jury: 3%
  • City/Town: 0.5%

The total state and local rate for the Village of Epps is 9.5%.

The combined local rate in Colfax, Grant Parish, has increased from 5% to 6%. The new total rate of sales tax is 10%.

There is a new Economic Development District in Iberville Parish: The University Club Center EDD St. Gabriel Corporation Limits has a combined local rate of 7.666% and a total rate of 11.666%.

Many rates in Lafayette Parish have increased:

  • The combined local rate in Lafayette, excluding the EDD, has increased from 4% to 5%.The new total rate is 9%.
  • The combined local rate in Lafayette, including the 1-10 @ MM 103-EDD, has increased from 5% to 6%. The new total rate is 10%.
  • The combined local rate for Broussard inside Lafayette Parish has increased from 4.5% to 5.5%. The new total rate is 9.5%.
  • The combined local rate for Carencro outside the I-49 EDD has increased from 4% to 5%. The new total rate of sales tax is 9%.
  • The combined local rate for Carencro inside the I-499 EDD has increased from 5% to 6%. The new total rate is 10%.
  • The combined local rate for Duson inside Lafayette Parish has increased from 4% to 5%, for a new total rate of 9%.
  • The combined local rate for Scott outside EDDs has increased from 4% to 5%, for a new total rate of 9%.
  • The combined local rate for Scott inside Apollo EDD increased from 5% to 6%. The new total rate of sales tax is 10%.
  • The combined local rate for Scott inside Destination Pt EDD increased from 5% to 6%, for a new total rate of 10%.
  • The combined local rate for Youngsville increased from 5.5% to 6.5%, for a new total rate of 10.5%.
  • The combined local rate in the Balance of the Parish increased from 4% to 5%, for a new total rate of 9%.

The municipal tax rate in West Monroe, Ouachita Parish, has increased by 0.44%. The new combined local rate is 5.99% and the new total rate is 9.99%.

In Richland Parish, Delhi has increased the city/town tax by 0.5%, for a new combined local rate of 6% and a new total rate of 10%.

There is a new jurisdiction in St. Tammany Parish: Northshore Square EDD has a combined local rate of 5.25% and a total state and local rate of 9.25%.

The combined local rate of sales tax in Terrebonne Parish increased from 5% to 5.5%, for a new total rate of 9.5%.


The Louisiana Association of Tax Administrators has published two local sales tax rate changes on its website. They took effect January 1, 2015.

Homer, in Claiborne Parish, increased the city/town sales and use tax rate from 2.375% to 3.375%. The combined state and local tax rate for Homer is now 9.5%.

The Village of Doyline, in Webster Parish, levied a local sales and use tax of 4%. The combined state and local tax rate is 8%. Additional information.


Connect with Avalara
Explore

See how easily our solutions work with your business applications.

Call

Curious how we help with your specific tax challenges? Just ask.

Chat

Get direct help with your most pressing questions about tax software.