Data Engineer, Sales & Marketing
Marketing | Seattle, WA, United StatesApply Now!
Avalara is a fast-growing company providing a suite of sales tax SaaS solutions for thousands of businesses worldwide. Our Sales & Marketing team is seeking a skilled and experienced data engineer to build and integrate scalable data pipelines and structures, enabling advanced analytics to accelerate growth and efficiency. You’ll take an active role in empowering marketers and leadership with information-rich data sources, using cutting-edge tools to consolidate data from across the organization and within our data warehouse.
- Translate requirements from various internal business teams to deliveroptimal data structures used to drive insightful, actionable reports and dashboards.
- Plan and develop complex ETL processes extracting data from source systems and loading cleaned, transformed, and conformed data into our enterprise data warehouse
- Ensure data integrity by validating against existing reports and source data
- Work cross functionally with our Data Services and Data Science teams to architect and implement optimized data pipelines
- Create dimensional models that meet both immediate analytical and reporting needs and also conform to long-term data strategy
- Scope projects and provide estimates of work to be performed and timelines
- Develop ETL specifications, source to target mappings, and other documentation required for ETL development and maintenance
- 5+ years experience in a data or software engineering role focused on data-heavy applications
- Strong experience with ETL tools, preferably Talend, Wherescape and SSIS
- Track record of optimizing SQL scripts for performance in a data warehouse environment
- Proficiency in dimensional modeling that enables analysts to seamlessly generate insights from data structures
- Strong communication skills, specifically the ability to translate non-technical stakeholder requirements into data architecture that meets and/or exceeds current needs and long-term analytics goals
- Experience working cross-functionally to identify ideal source data, share tools, plan data strategy, and collaborate on ETL pipelines that can serve the needs of multiple teams
- Experience in optimizing scripts and dimensional modeling on big data platforms (Snowflake preferred, or Hadoop or Spark)
- Experience with a functional/object-oriented scripting language like Python, Java, Scala, etc. for automating jobs
- Ability to self-direct to seek information and solve problems
- Rigorous attention to detail
- Passion for integrating data and the technology behind it (especially for Big Data technologies)
- Familiarity with CRM systems, specifically Salesforce
- Knowledge of best practices for extracting data from systems such as Adobe Analytics and Eloqua
- Experience with AWS cloud services such as EC2
- Experience working in visual analysis tools such as Tableau
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types. The company delivers comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use. The Avalara Compliance Cloud® platform helps customers manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities throughout the world.
Avalara offers more than 600 pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications, making the integration of tax and compliance solutions easy for customers. Each year, the company processes billions of indirect tax transactions for customers and users, files more than a million tax returns, and manages millions of tax exemption certificates and other compliance documents.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and overseas in the U.K., Belgium, Brazil, and India. More information at www.avalara.com
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.