Senior Software Engineer
Engineering | Durham, NC, United States,Remote, United StatesApply Now!
DAVO by Avalara is a business unit of Avalara that focuses on providing seamless end-to-end sales tax management services for small businesses. We design, build and deliver a software as a service (SaaS) product that integrates with businesses' point-of-sale (POS) technology to automate tracking, setting aside, filing and remittance of taxes. With our solution, business owners can focus on running their businesses instead of worrying about taxes.
Learn more about DAVO at davosalestax.com and Avalara at avalara.com.
This position is remote first, with an ideal candidate being in the Eastern time zone or close. There are offices in Westbrook, ME and Durham, NC that could be utilized in the future.
This is a small, very dynamic organization. All the facets of the org...Sales, Marketing, Biz Dev and Operations work tightly with Product/Engineering to provide an amazing experience for our customers. DAVO has a single agile Software Engineering team that touches the whole platform. We deploy when something is ready, which typically means multiple things go live daily. In this position you would leverage your experience and proven leadership to help design and implement well thought out solutions. You would mentor fellow engineers and help encourage everyone to be continuously leveling up their skills.
- Design, develop, and deploy reliable, maintainable, scalable, and fault-tolerant backend services that power both our internal and external systems
- Collaborate with team members for code and design review
- Work with designers, product managers, and other engineers to solve complex problems in the face of lots of dynamism and uncertainty
- Take a mindful, transparent, and humane approach to your work and your interactions with others
- Be an enabler of the team; remove blockers, mentor, encourage, lead from the back
Our tech stack - comparable experience required:
We have a modern development stack and infrastructure. We can spin up new environments, scale, patch, deploy...all with ease. The goal is to work with technology we enjoy and to never have a part of the stack that people don’t feel comfortable touching.
- Typescript: React, Node.js, Express.js, Jest
- AWS: Aurora/MySQL, Elasticache/Redis, ECS/Fargate, EC2, S3, CloudFront, CDK/IaC; GCP: FireBase/websockets
- 6+ years of experience as a part of a software development team successfully shipping a software product
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, and/or work experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- The ability to thrive in an environment where collaboration, communication, and compromise are an expected part of your day-to-day work
- Fluent in service oriented architectures; distributed systems
- Interest in work in a environment that is moving more and more “serverless”
Nice to haves:
- Interest in taking on some DevOps tasks for the team
- Understanding of AWS offerings we don’t use regularly today, but want to use more (EventBridge, Lambda, etc.)
- Interest in achieving AWS certification