Director, Customer Experience Training and Enablement
Customer Success | Seattle, WA, United StatesApply Now!
Avalara is looking for a leader of our Customer Experience Training and Enablement team, focused on enabling the success of our customer facing teams in Global Support, Go Live (Customer set-up and implementation) and Customer Account Management. Avalara is dedicated to providing a “Cult of the Customer” (by Shep Hyken) experience across our product solutions, with teams located in offices across the US and internationally. Ensuring successful delivery requires ownership that will drive rapid, consistent, & scalable programs that allow agents to successfully resolve customer issues. (I.e. new employee training, continuing education, agent certification, new product introductions, release management, agent knowledge base content, customer self-help content, agent quality assessments). As a leader you will have ultimate ownership in defining, leading and executing against our training and enablement priorities with a small team of resources.
The successful candidate will combine a solid understanding of instructional design, training delivery, building & maintaining knowledge management tools for front line agents, creating and maintaining customer facing self-help content, and assessing agent quality and providing feedback. The ideal candidate is an independent and curious self-starter with a demonstrated ability to lead teams to produce results. Position requires the ability to effectively collaborate with business owners, process owners, subject matter experts, and have a high tolerance for ambiguity and a bias toward action. This is a hands-on position with high visibility - the ideal candidate must be willing to “roll up their sleeves” and get things done.
The Director of Customer Experience Training and Enablement is responsible for the following primary objectives:
- Lead a team of training and enablement (knowledge base and customer facing content) and quality assessment resources to develop, deploy and deliver against Customer Experience SLAs/KPIs required for our business to deliver on customer needs and meet internal team goals
- Serve as the trusted partner to the Customer Experience leaders in defining, tracking, and implementing Customer Experience training and knowledge base objectives, strategy and tactics
- Develop training and knowledge base frameworks/solutions and QA methods that can quickly scale for use across multiple teams and locations and for potential use by external partners
- Guide team in effective collaboration with internal resources, product management, marketing, and other key SMEs to identify and develop core curriculum to support customer facing support roles in the organization
- Design and implement metrics to measure training programs and impact on productivity, readiness and effectiveness
- Continually assess readiness gaps, and work with the appropriate stakeholders to quickly develop the right training and knowledge to close them
- Develop and maintain an effective governance process focused on providing timely and targeted content for customer facing support teams to continuously improve knowledge transfer and learning
- Provide structure and necessary processes in ambiguous situations
- Team leadership: Manage & grow a skilled & committed team while providing impactful career planning with employees
- Strategy & program management: Develop, maintain and communicate the strategic vision & deliver a broad portfolio of role-based learning/enablement programs across multiple teams
- Lead with design thinking: Leverage design thinking to bring innovative new approaches to modernize our learning programs
- Collaboration: Work across the Customer Experience and Product leadership to deliver maximum impact for our training and enablement programs, aligning learning outcomes to business processes and objectives
- Experiment: Continuously develop, pilot, test, and evaluate new programs to foster a culture of innovation and learning
- Bachelor’s degree. Focus on instructional design, training or related learning background a plus
- 5+ years’ experience supporting training in customer contact centers, customer service organizations or technical support, etc.
- 8+ years of instructional design and training experience in a large organization supporting customer facing roles with increasing influence and responsibility
- Experience managing and supporting a knowledge base system that supports and enables front line agents to answer customer questions
- Experience managing or supporting quality assessment functions in a contact center environment
- Experience creating and managing self-help content for customer facing sites.
- 5+ years’ experience leading high performing teams
- Demonstrated operational excellence and process improvement orientation
- 3+ years of experience using e-learning software (Articulate, Camtasia, Captivate, or similar), Learning Management Systems (LMS), virtual instructor-led training tools, and social learning tools
- Strategic thinker that can take broad visions and concepts and develop structured plans, actions and measurable metrics and then execute those plans
- Experience in developing and managing competency models and role-based (persona-based) curriculum
- Experience in a curriculum development/learning program management role
- Proven ability to lead and manage at senior levels without direct authority
- Excellent project/program management and organizational skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to effectively communicate with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience managing a geographically diverse organization
- Track record of complex and creative problem-solving
- Experience in Tech/SaaS organizations a plus
- Experience building training and knowledgebase tools from the ground up. (start up experience)
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types. The company delivers comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use. The Avalara Compliance Cloud® platform helps customers manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities throughout the world.
Avalara offers more than 600 pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications, making the integration of tax and compliance solutions easy for customers. Each year, the company processes billions of indirect tax transactions for customers and users, files more than a million tax returns, and manages millions of tax exemption certificates and other compliance documents.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and overseas in the U.K., Belgium, Brazil, and India. More information at www.avalara.com
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.