Manager, Billing Operations
Finance | Durham, NC, United StatesApply Now!
The Billing Manager will lead and build a team of staff and consultants in Avalara's growing subscription, professional services, and enterprise billing organization. The Billing Manager should possess a broad understanding of the detailed inter relationships, dependencies, and strategic nature of Avalara's organization, and all products, processes and systems, to help position priorities and negotiate creative solutions that benefit the customer and grow the business.
The Billing Manager should be assertive and have the ability to interact successfully with Managers, VP's and SVP's across Avalara. Requires exceedingly strong communication and negotiation skills, and finesse working with challenging demands and priorities. The position requires strong system and implementation and project management. The Billing Manager should be flexible, able to isolate key information to drive quick and appropriate decision making, invoke excellent judgment, with the ability to influence others. Strong level of professional maturity, good balanced perspective, with an even keel approach to all situations, are important.
- Responsible for planning, organizing, and leading a billing operations team, including setting strategic direction and mentoring.
- Responsible for the recruitment, retention, and development of billing staff while building out the functions of the department.
- Ensures the accuracy of billing reports and metrics and uses the information to lead productivity and accuracy of the billing team.
- Consistently reviews the effectiveness of billing processes and makes recommendations for improvement.
- Consistently seeks out improvements in systems and execution to increase efficiency.
- Coordinate billing audit and compliance activities.
- Responsible for the resolution of complex billing matters; ensuring the department's IT systems are sufficient to meet current and future business needs and that all submissions and handling of data is performed in accordance with all applicable regulations.
- Maintain strong customer relationships to ensure the immediate resolution of problems as well as being responsive to future needs.
- Significant experience in leading teams
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Minimum of 7 years relevant and/or management experience in this field
- B.S./B.A. in Business Administration, Accounting or Finance is preferred
- Problem solving skills necessary to prioritize assignments and make decisions in the best interest of the company and customer
- Zuora and Salesforce systems experience is strongly preferable
- Significant progressive experience in commercial revenue environment, preferably in a high-tech SAAS environment
- Solid leadership/management experience
- Skilled in writing policies and procedures, evaluation processes and communicating effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Project management experience
- Highly organized and focused on follow through