Tax Analyst, E-file
Compliance | Durham, NC, United StatesApply Now!
The Tax Analyst for Compliance Operations, will have responsibility to advance Avalara’s AvaTax/Returns Services by driving the evolution of features and future direction of automation in pursuit of “customer self-service.” Compliance drives significant revenue as part of monthly sales and use tax returns filing services for customers. This position is responsible for maximizing Core filing efficiency and productivity through technology, process improvement and a metrics-driven discipline. Presence in a major office for Avalara, either Seattle or Durham, is essential for the team’s success and for building key cross-functional relationships.
- Prepare, review, and file multi-jurisdictional sales/use, business and occupation, and gross receipts tax returns for monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, and annual filings
- Manage Compliance E-file Projects to ensure accuracy, comprehension and execute completion
- Maintain/update customer and filing calendar information as needed
- Research and resolve Unpaids items on behalf of customers while partnering with Treasury
- Learn fluency and master our newest technology: Returns Console / CUP
- Reconcile returns filings for all customers on both platforms
- Manage workload to effectively meet deadlines
- Identify ways to improve process and/or technology to better serve our customers.
- 1+ years in multi-jurisdictional sales and use tax preparation and filing.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S. or B.A.) from an accredited college or university
- Strong analytical, research, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently yet still function as a team player
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task to meet strict filing deadlines
- Ability to learn and adapt to different software applications and tools
- Must have advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Excel and Access (functions include power pivot, vlookup, hlookup, etc.)
- 3+ years applied experience in US sales and use tax returns preparation and filing
- Advanced degree in accounting or finance
- Experience with a Big 4 firm, large corporate tax department of a multinational company, or large ERP integration
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types. The company delivers comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use. The Avalara Compliance Cloud® platform helps customers manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities throughout the world.
Avalara offers more than 600 pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications, making the integration of tax and compliance solutions easy for customers. Each year, the company processes billions of indirect tax transactions for customers and users, files more than a million tax returns, and manages millions of tax exemption certificates and other compliance documents.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and overseas in the U.K., Belgium, Brazil, and India. More information at www.avalara.com
The perks of working at Avalara go beyond amazing physical spaces and a Tiki Bar. We’re committed to continued progress in diversity and inclusion. As an employee at Avalara, you’ll have the opportunity to join resource groups focused on diversity of thought, engage with your local or global community about topics that matter to you and the organization and receive continued education around inclusion and development. As Avalara grows, so do the voices within it. It’s time to hear your voice.
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, gender, nation of origin, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law. We thrive on diversity and encourage people from all walks of life to apply to Avalara’s open positions.