Tax Research Analyst
Compliance | Durham, NC, United StatesApply Now!
Avalara is dedicated to monitoring transaction taxes at the international, state, county and municipal levels and developing software that keeps pace with the dynamics in the market.
- Research tax law, reporting, and remittance requirements to keep our tax products in compliance with state, county, and local jurisdiction tax laws
- Monitor legislation, administrative decisions, and judicial decisions for changes in transaction taxes in assigned jurisdictional or topical areas
- Apply taxability, exemption and tax holiday rule changes into our software while providing concise documentation of the changes
- Identify and apply exemption certificate changes
- Based upon tax research, validate results of test transactions pre-production
- Build productive working relationships with state, county, and city authorities to maximize the quality of our product
- When opportunities to further automate and streamline processes exist, raise them to Manager and/or Sr Designer to enable prioritization and ticket creation for Content Engineering
- A natural curiosity about technology and an interest in innovation and learning about new areas of transaction taxes
- Relevant advanced degree or certification (i.e. Accounting, Finance, Law, Economics, Geography, Data Science) or 1-3 years equivalent experience researching tax law
- Excellent research skills, including a logical and creative approach to drilling down to specific data to surface information that is vital to the accuracy of the published content
- Effective communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to work in and support a team environment through collective team topics, load balancing, and sharing/receiving constructive feedback
- Ability to multi-task, troubleshoot, and problem solve in a calm, analytical and methodical manner that also demonstrates a sense of urgency
- Proactively participate in a dynamic and innovative tax environment by maintaining a high level of energy while being consistently dependable, efficient, and accurate
- Demonstrated ability to manage time to achieve priority results
- Ability to maintain organization and attention to detail
- Analytic ability to understand and resolve client requests and tax concerns
- Ability to apply basic math, percentages and general accounting rules
- Ability to use a laptop and various software, including MS Office, browsers, subscription research services, and Avalara products
- Demonstrated high standards of excellence in work product and professionalism
- BA, JD/LLM, and/or CPA/Chartered Accountant in that order of preference
- Familiarity with tax returns and/or government compliance
- Familiarity with Atlassian Confluence and/or JIRA
- Two to four (2-4) years research, consulting or audit experience in state and local or transaction taxes
- Experience with conditional statements and / or formulas in Excel and familiarity with Boolean logic
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transactional taxes, including VAT, sales and use, excise, communications, and other tax types. We deliver comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions that are fast, accurate, and easy to use.
Avalara offers hundreds of pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications. Each year, the company processes billions of tax transactions for customers and users, files hundreds of thousands of tax compliance documents and tax returns and manages millions of exemption certificates and other compliance related documents.
Avalara's headquarters are in Seattle, WA and it has offices across the U.S. and in Brighton and London, England; Brussels, Belgium; and Pune, India. More information at: www.avalara.com
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.