Sr. Director of Corporate Development
Corporate Development | Seattle, WA, United StatesApply Now!
Corporate Development at Avalara is responsible for identifying, evaluating and developing new business opportunities that leverage our core competencies and align with our company mission. Reporting to the EVP of Corporate Development, the Sr. Director of Corporate Development will work with cross-functional team leaders to realize new business initiatives through organic development, strategic partnerships, joint ventures, investments and acquisitions in geographies worldwide.
The ideal candidate will bring a strong corporate development, investment banking or private equity background and have completed numerous M&A, investment, and capital markets transactions. Success in this role will require a strong understanding of our technological capabilities and how they may align with market opportunities. This person should be comfortable leading initiatives independently while garnering support from functional teams and company leadership.
What You’ll Do
- Think strategically, engage with company leadership, and leverage your background to help guide long-term corporate planning and development
- Build strategic relationships with key industry stakeholders, including investors, corporates, and startups, to stay on top of industry trends, opportunities and the competitive landscape
- Conduct market analysis across various product and market segments to evaluate and prioritize new business and acquisition opportunities
- Work alongside EVP of Corporate Development to pursue and build new, and cultivate existing, strategic relationships
- Lead strategic and financial analysis of opportunities to help prioritize and execute on our inorganic roadmap
- Build financial models to assess valuation and financial impacts under various forecasting and financing scenarios
- Work with Finance and Legal teams to lead M&A execution from end-to-end: driving relationships, conducting financial analysis and due diligence, structuring and negotiating transactions, and planning integrations
- Conduct analysis and create deliverables for board meetings and executive updates
What You Bring
- 8+ years of progressive work experience in private equity, investment banking, or corporate development – ideally in a fast-paced technology driven field, such as financial services, indirect tax, eCommerce, ERP, Payroll. Preferably software / SaaS oriented business models.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree with preference for STEM concentrations, plus significant coursework in finance, accounting, economics or other closely related fields
- Demonstrated experience in financial modeling, forecasting, analysis, and financial reporting
- Ability to prioritize multiple stakeholders and projects with limited resources, train and mentor junior staff, and work in a fast-paced highly collaborative team-based environment
- A passion for technology and its implications for creating a better world
Avalara believes that the scale of our impact is determined by the teams that work with us. As such, we seek to build high-performing teams of people from various experiences and backgrounds who can collectively push our company into new realms. We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status. If you have a special need or disability that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types. The company delivers comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use. The Avalara Compliance Cloud® platform helps customers manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities throughout the world.
Avalara offers more than 600 pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications, making the integration of tax and compliance solutions easy for customers. Each year, the company processes billions of indirect tax transactions for customers and users, files more than a million tax returns, and manages millions of tax exemption certificates and other compliance documents.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and overseas in the U.K., Belgium, Brazil, and India. More information at www.avalara.com
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.