Regional SaaSOps EOC Senior Manager - EMEA
Engineering | Brighton, United KingdomApply Now!
In support of the Avalara SaaS suite of services, the Senior Manager, Site Reliability Engineering is responsible for managing geographically disparate teams of engineers. The engineers are responsible for the security, compliance, reliability, and efficiency of our production systems. The team is responsible for maintaining service up-time in 24 x 7 environments, meet client expectations of accessible data services, and analyze the data in support of Tier2 client support tickets when requested.
The Senior Manager is responsible for the teams delivery of enhanced observability, troubleshoot Windows and Linux applications, creation of AWS infrastructure, tools & automation, and impact the design of future platform architecture. Additionally, the Senior Manager is for the development of support plans for all applications and adheres to those plans to provide the necessary level of production SLOs.
The Avalara product suite is a mix of Windows/SQL environments with a wide variety of additional open source applications present in a Linux environment. The role supports multiple projects and requires interactions and partnerships with teams and personnel from multiple business locations, skill sets, and backgrounds. As such, the position requires strong communication skills in addition to a solid foundation of technical skills, analytical abilities, and end-to-end troubleshooting techniques.
- Ability to lead through clear and consistent communications.
- Facilitate and lead technical meetings.
- Deep technical experience and knowledge for Site Reliability technologies and methodologies.
- Ability to work and collaborate across other engineering teams.
- Ability to manage remotely and across geographic and cultural differences.
- Ability to communicate up to proactively identify risks, success and challenges.
- Negotiate application changes to improve application performance.
- Manage shift and on-call rotation to meet operational needs of the business.
- Understand existing processes and implement seamless changes or institute new processes as necessary, including the areas of monitoring, upgrades, and tuning, etc.
- Set expectations and deliver high-quality project documentation, such as architecture designs, implementation plans, design documents, test plans, etc.
- At least 3 years' experience in managing a SAAS production operating environment.
- Deep understanding in the mentality, processes, and tools needed to deliver five nines SLAs.
- Strong working knowledge of Windows or Linux and it's underlying components, system statistics, performance tuning, file systems, and io.
- Experience with either .NET or Linux in AWS.
- Experience with scripting skills in Powershell, Python, Bash, or Perl and history of automating workloads.
- Experience with production deployment, monitoring and operational support for enterprise-class applications.
- Experience in performance diagnostics, capacity planning, performance architecture design, performance tuning, performance monitoring.
- Experience working with load balanced high-traffic solutions/services.
- Experience in SQL and database services.
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent with 5-8 years of relevant work experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Technologies you are likely to be working with: AWS, GitLab, Atlassian suite, Powershell, Python, Terraform & HashiCorp suite, Jenkins, Packer, C#, SumoLogic, CloudHealth, Grafana, Prometheus, HAproxy, RabbitMQ, SQL, Windows, Linux, Docker and containerization technologies etc.
- Results driven and can do attitude, no problem is too big or too small.
- Ability to prioritize and deliver using a customer focused viewpoint.
- A systematic problem solver, with the ability to think outside the box.
- Data driven approach and ability to analyze.
- Leadership of Software Engineer and Operation Support skills.
- Desire to learn new technologies and programming languages.
We're building cloud-based tax compliance solutions to handle every transaction in the world. Imagine every transaction you make — every tank of gas, cup of coffee, or pair of sneakers, every movie ticket, meal kit, or streamed song, every sensor-to-sensor ping. Nearly every time you make a purchase, physical or digital, there's an accompanying unique and nuanced tax compliance calculation.
The logic behind calculating taxes — the rules, rates, and boundaries — is a global, layered, three-dimensional mess of complexity, with compliance dictated by governments and applied by every business, every day.
Avalara works with businesses of all sizes, all over the world — from corner stores to gigantic global retailers — to calculate tax accurately and automatically, at speeds measured in milliseconds. That's a massive technical challenge, in terms of scale, reliability, and complexity, and we do it better than anyone.
That's why we're growing fast. Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and around the world, in Belgium, Brazil, Canada, India, and the U.K.
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, or any other factor protected by law.
Avalara is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to job applicants with physical or mental disabilities. Applicants with a disability who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can follow this process outlined when applying for a position: Please provide your name and contact information to our recruitment team at recruitmentEMEA@avalara.com