Site Reliability Engineer
Engineering | Brighton, United KingdomApply Now!
We are looking for a Site Reliability Engineer. In support of the Avalara SaaS suite of services, the Site Reliability Engineer is responsible for the security, compliance, reliability, and efficiency of our production systems. The team is responsible for maintaining service up-time in 24 x 7 environments, meet client expectations of accessible data services, and analyze the data in support of Tier2 client support tickets when requested.
The Site Reliability Engineer will enhance observability, troubleshoot Windows and Linux applications, create AWS infrastructure, write tools & automation, and impact the design of the future platform architecture. Additionally, the Senior Site Reliability Engineer develops support plans for all applications and adheres to those plans to provide the necessary level of production SLOs.
The Avalara product suite is a mix of Windows/SQL environments with a wide variety of additional open source applications present in a Linux environment. The role supports multiple projects and requires interactions and partnerships with teams and personnel from multiple business locations, skill sets, and backgrounds. As such, the position requires strong communication skills in addition to a solid foundation of technical skills, analytical abilities, and end-to-end troubleshooting techniques.
- Recommend application changes to improve application performance.
- Work with Development to transition applications from one platform to another when called for by the business.
- Cloud Services experience with AWS, Azure or GPC.
- Experienced in troubleshooting applications running on a Microsoft .NET Framework and .Net Core stacks or experienced in the LAMP stack. You must have strong experience in one and a willingness to learn the other.
- Provide technical escalation and share in the on-call rotation.
- Work independently and as a team-player, as required for the project at hand.
- Review existing processes and recommend changes or institute new processes as necessary, including the areas of monitoring, upgrades, and tuning, etc.
- Generate high-quality project documentation, such as architecture designs, implementation plans, design documents, test plans, etc.
- At least 5 years' experience in a SAAS operating environment.
- Deep expertise in the mentality, processes, and tools needed to deliver five nines SLAs.
- Strong working knowledge of Windows or Linux and it's underlying components, system statistics, performance tuning, file systems, and io.
- Experience with either .NET or Linux in AWS.
- Solid scripting skills in Powershell, Python, Bash, or Perl and history of automating workloads.
- Experience with production deployment, monitoring and operational support for enterprise-class applications.
- Experience in performance diagnostics, capacity planning, performance architecture design, performance tuning, performance monitoring.
- Experience working with load balanced high-traffic solutions/services.
- Experience in SQL and database services.
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent with 5-8 years of relevant work experience.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Technologies you are likely to be working with: AWS, GitLab, Atlassian suite, Powershell, Python, Terraform & HashiCorp suite, Jenkins, Packer, C#, SumoLogic, CloudHealth, Grafana, Prometheus, HAproxy, RabbitMQ, SQL, Windows, Linux, Docker and containerization technologies etc.
- Can do attitude, no problem is too big or too small.
- A desire to delight customers.
- A systematic problem solver, with the ability to think outside the box.
- Good data analysis skills to pick up trends before they become major problems.
- Previous experience as an enterprise class Site Reliability Engineer.
- A strong mix of Software Engineer and Operation Support skills.
- Desire to learn new technologies and programming languages.
We're building cloud-based tax compliance solutions to handle every transaction in the world. Imagine every transaction you make — every tank of gas, cup of coffee, or pair of sneakers, every movie ticket, meal kit, or streamed song, every sensor-to-sensor ping. Nearly every time you make a purchase, physical or digital, there's an accompanying unique and nuanced tax compliance calculation.
The logic behind calculating taxes — the rules, rates, and boundaries — is a global, layered, three-dimensional mess of complexity, with compliance dictated by governments and applied by every business, every day.
Avalara works with businesses of all sizes, all over the world — from corner stores to gigantic global retailers — to calculate tax accurately and automatically, at speeds measured in milliseconds. That's a massive technical challenge, in terms of scale, reliability, and complexity, and we do it better than anyone.
That's why we're growing fast. Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and around the world, in Belgium, Brazil, Canada, India, and the U.K.
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, or any other factor protected by law.
Avalara is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to job applicants with physical or mental disabilities. Applicants with a disability who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can follow this process outlined when applying for a position: Please provide your name and contact information to our recruitment team at recruitmentEMEA@avalara.com