Lead SRE - CORE Projects (R7847)
Engineering | Remote, United StatesApply Now!
Avalara, Inc., (www.Avalara.com), is the leading provider of cloud-based software that delivers a broad array of compliance solutions related to sales tax and other transactional taxes.
What is it like to work at Avalara? Come find out! We are committed to the following success traits that embody our culture and how we work together to accomplish great things: Fun. Passion. Adaptability. Urgency. Simplicity. Curiosity. Humility. Ownership. Optimism.
We are building cloud-based tax compliance solutions to handle every transaction in the world. Imagine every transaction you make - every tank of gas, cup of coffee, or pair of sneakers, every movie ticket, or streamed song, every sensor-to-sensor ping. Nearly every time you make a purchase, physical or digital, there is an accompanying unique and nuanced tax compliance calculation.
We are seeking a highly motivated, experienced Lead SRE to join our team!
The role is in support of several CORE Avalara SaaS suites of services. The Lead Site Reliability Engineer is responsible for the security, compliance, reliability, and efficiency of our production systems. The scope of work for CORE projects includes the coordination and oversight for the implementation of 24 x 7 environments that have been designed by SRE and Development engineering teams. The team actively participates in the design, and provides valuable feedback to ensure high availability, supportability, and observability. The role supports multiple projects and applications. It requires interactions and partnerships with teams and personnel from multiple business locations, skill sets, and backgrounds. As such, the position requires effective verbal and written communication skills in addition to a solid foundation of technical skills, analytical abilities, and end-to-end troubleshooting techniques.
- Coordinate and prioritize activities with leadership.
- Oversee, participate, review, and provide feedback of CORE project work to its successful implementation of projects and tasks.
- Formally accept deliverables to ensure compliance and quality standards.
- Ensure that observability deliverables, proactively monitor Avalara customer facing, revenue critical applications.
- Our focus is on prevention through early identification of potential issues.
- Participate, provide oversight, and enforce Compliance requirements for audits (SOX, SOC, etc...).
- Security investigation and remediation of identified issues.
- Customer escalations and inquiries.
- Automating deployment processes as well as coaching others, including collaborating with engineering development teams implementing GitLab CI/CD pipelines, ensuring the reliability, observability, and optimization of compute resources.
- Work closely with the Engineering Operation Center (EOC) to ensure supportability and knowledge sharing. The EOC is a gate to ensure consistent standards of operational excellence using a comprehensive Software Maturity Metrics (SMM) assessment.
- 12+ years enterprise-class experience with large scale cloud solutions. Google Cloud is highly desirable. AWS and Azure are a plus.
- 12+ years enterprise-class application experience with production deployments, monitoring, and communications.
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect associate or Sysops Administrator associate
- Strong application troubleshooting. Microsoft .NET Framework and .Net Core stacks or experienced in the LAMP stack is preferred. High learning aptitude and interest in learning new stacks.
- Leading team, as well as working independently and as a team player, as required for the project at hand.
- Review and sign off on processes. Provide feedback on improvements. Develop new processes to drive efficiency and quality. Focus areas are performance, application availability, monitoring improvements and application deployment runbooks.
- Review and provide feedback on project documentation, such as architecture designs, implementation plans, design documents, test plans, etc.
- Deep expertise in the mentality, processes, and tools needed to deliver five nines' SLAs.
- Firm working knowledge of Windows and Linux along with its underlying components, system statistics, performance tuning, file systems, and IO.
- Solid scripting skills in PowerShell, Python, Bash, or other languages, and history of automating workloads is a plus.
- Ability to reverse engineer systems and network services.
- Experience in performance diagnostics, capacity planning, performance architecture design, performance tuning, performance monitoring.
- Experience working with load balanced high-traffic solutions/services.
- Experience in SQL and database services.
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent, with 5-8 years relevant work experience.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
Technologies you are likely to be working with: Google Cloud, AWS Cloud, Oracle Cloud, GitLab, Atlassian suite, PowerShell, Python, Terraform & HashiCorp suite, Snowflake, MongoDB, DynamoDB, Postgres, SQL, Packer, SumoLogic, Grafana, Prometheus, HAproxy, RabbitMQ, Kubernetes, Windows, Linux, Docker and containerization technologies etc.
- Can do, get it done (G-in) attitude, no problem is too big or too small.
- A desire to delight customers.
- A self-starting, systematic problem solver, with the ability to think outside the box.
- Strong observability and data analysis skills to pick up trends before they become major problems.
- Previous experience as an enterprise class Site Reliability Engineer.
- A strong mix of Software Engineer and Operation Support skills.
- Passion to learn new technologies and programming languages.
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transactional taxes, including VAT, sales and use, excise, communications, and other tax types. We deliver comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions that are fast, accurate, and easy to use.
Avalara offers over a thousand pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications. Each year, the company processes billions of tax transactions for customers and users, files hundreds of thousands of tax compliance documents and tax returns and manages millions of exemption certificates and other compliance related documents.
Avalara’s headquarters are in Seattle, WA and it has offices across the U.S. and in Brighton and London, England; Brussels, Belgium; and Pune, India. More information at: www.avalara.com
Our diverse and inclusive culture drives Avalara's innovation and growth. We actively seek candidates from diverse backgrounds, locations, and cultures. Our Employee Resource Groups (ERG) help us build culture and drive equity for all by removing systemic biases. ERGs help Avalara understand the cultural differences and needs of such under-represented groups.
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.