Lead Software Engineer - ORL (5863)
Engineering | Durham, NC, United StatesApply Now!
In this role, you will help with the design, development, and maintenance of the ORL product line. The successful candidate will participate in the development of new features, become versed in the existing landscape of the product and work within a peer group environment to meet product deliverables and deadlines. This position requires the ability to convert product requirements into finished material, develop clear testable code, and work with Quality Assurance to ensure product reliability.
Avalara is the worldwide leader in sales and use tax calculation. The work we do is fundamental to electronic commerce. We're the first to admit it - sales tax isn't sexy. But revolutionizing fundamental business processes -- that's big time. And that's what we're doing every day, bringing technology to bear on the arcane process of sales tax calculation, reporting and remitting. Our work improves the lives of our customers by making tedious business processes they must participate in simple and easy.
We have a startup culture focused on building great software and having the maximum impact on the world that we can and having fun while doing it. We’d love to talk to you about what we are up to.
- Implement high quality, scalable features for the application.
- Research, identify and utilize appropriate tools, libraries, frameworks, and languages to solve problems and deliver results using the most effective methods.
- Document functionality of the software, including public APIs and customer-facing UIs.
- Participate in project estimation and scoping exercises.
- Work independently as a collaborative member of a team.
- Work effectively to meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced, dynamic team environment.
- Keep abreast of new technologies and apply appropriately to business problems.
Qualifications (absolute must-haves walking in the door)
- Minimum of 6 years’ experience supporting teams shipping complex applications to large scale production environments
- Experience and understanding of .NET Core and C#
- Good understanding of PostgreSQL and other database technologies
- Strong debugging capabilities
- Experience in doing tasks related to DevOps for the development team
- Knowledge of Amazon Web Services (AWS) systems
- Great problem-solving skills
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and flexibility to work collaboratively with others in a dynamic environment
- Excellent communication skills, collaboration, follow-up, and self-motivation
- Ability to work on multiple assignments simultaneously and deliver on committed timelines with a keen focus on quality
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field
Preferred Qualifications (great to have but not absolutely necessary)
- First-hand experience developing solutions and deploying to AWS
- Understanding of agile development, specifically the SCRUM framework
- Relevant experience moving teams towards continuous deployment systems
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types. The company delivers comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use. The Avalara Compliance Cloud® platform helps customers manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities throughout the world.
Avalara offers more than 600 pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications, making the integration of tax and compliance solutions easy for customers. Each year, the company processes billions of indirect tax transactions for customers and users, files more than a million tax returns, and manages millions of tax exemption certificates and other compliance documents.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and overseas in the U.K., Belgium, Brazil, and India. More information at www.avalara.com
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.