Senior UX Engineer (5341)
Engineering | Seattle, WA, United StatesApply Now!
Working as part of globally distributed agile software engineering team, you will work independently and as a significant senior part of the team to complete necessary deliverables and contribute to the vision and value proposition of what is to be built. We're building the next generation of tooling for our content researchers!
This Sr. Software Engineer will be responsible for progressing the development of our next generation tax research information management system. This position is well suited to a software engineer who has a desire to solve problems with technology, enjoys working with intelligent users with high standards and expectations.
- Front-end or back-end only developers need not apply; we need both
- Personal or school project experience OK for a junior developer
- Experience building single page apps on any modern framework (Vue, Angular, React, etc.)
- Solid understanding of modern desktop web standards and CSS
- Applicant only ever used pre-made frameworks like Bootstrap - not enough
- Needs to understand what browsers can do today that they couldn’t do three years ago
- Bonus points for mentioning accessibility
- Mobile web or native app experience interesting but not relevant to our project
- Solid understanding of relational database principles, ability to read and write SQL
- Applicant only experienced with No-SQL or interacted with SQL DB using an ORM - not enough
- Should know how to join tables, what an index is good for, etc.
- Demonstrated experience and interest in creating great user experiences
- Can articulate clearly what makes a UX good or bad
- Values/enjoys prototyping, user-testing, training, documenting; generally engaging with people
- Candidate is permitted to lack emotion about all other things except this
- Experience with distributed source control tools and development workflow
- git experience ideal, but alternatives such as SVN, TFVC, Hg, Perforce are OK too
- Should have some experience doing code reviews with others on some tool like GitHub or Gitlab
- Basic understanding of unit testing strategies and tools
- Web application security fundamentals
- Web mapping tech, specifically OpenLayers, Mapbox GL, Turf.js
- PostgreSQL and PostGIS
- AWS or similar cloud infrastructure (GCP, Azure, etc.)
- Nightwatch or similar E2E testing tools
- Jenkins or similar
- Avalara REST API
- Speaks another language (useful for when we do localization)
- Previous experience working with transaction tax, customs brokerage, VAT or similar
- Exposure / experience with machine learning, NLP, data science technologies
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transactional taxes, including VAT, sales and use, excise, communications, and other tax types. We deliver comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions that are fast, accurate, and easy to use.
Avalara offers hundreds of pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications. Each year, the company processes billions of tax transactions for customers and users, files hundreds of thousands of tax compliance documents and tax returns, and manages millions of exemption certificates and other compliance related documents.