Software Developer in Test (VAT)
Engineering | Brighton, United KingdomApply Now!
Software Developer in Test (VAT)
We are pioneering technologies to make the complicated world of automated VAT compliance easier for our clients. Be part of a cutting-edge technology company that is constantly striving to “wow” our customers through innovation and relentless focus on excellence.
We are currently looking for a Software Developer in Test (VAT) to join our innovative, market leading company. This is a fantastic opportunity for a tax professional with development knowledge to join an entrepreneurial product team with an in-demand, front running product powering the VAT world.
As we add more countries and increased functionality to our products, the need for high quality software releases and continual positive customer experience grows.
The Software Developer in Test will be responsible for ensuring ongoing VAT accuracy for our partner products. The optimal candidate will have in-depth experience with EU VAT legislation and compliance.
As an SDET you will catch both the first round of simple mistakes, but also find the harder to spot problems early in the process. Achieving success will require you to be a full of initiative, deadline focused, technically adept, able to work autonomously as well as being a champion for improvement.
- Work closely with our principle Content team to engage and align on regulation and legal updates
- Ensure that all relevant documentation is maintained and up to date
- Confirm that business requirements are testable and verifiable to ensure requirements traceability and delivery of expected functionality
- Verify that user fields are in parity with the language captured in the forms or determination inputs to be populated
- Create and run scenarios to test the accuracy of content to be deployed. Check that output data meets customer expectations.
- Perform regression testing to resolve any impact or interplay that new content may have on existing content
- Maintain meticulous test data
- Effectively work and communicate with team members to accomplish specific tasks in a timely, efficient and productive manner
- Be open to accept additional responsibilities to enable the team to meet deadlines
- Have an appreciation of the bigger picture across Avalara with regards to continuous improvement and integration
Qualifications (absolute must haves walking in the door)
- 3+ years of experience in EU cross-border VAT compliance
- Qualifications in technical fields, such as accountancy, mathematics, economics, computer science
- Testing experience in web‐based and database applications preferable
- Written and spoken fluency in English
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills across different stakeholder groups
- Have a passion and flair for problem-solving
- Possess strong time management and organization skills to achieve priority results
- Demonstrate high standards of excellence in work product and professionalism
- Possess the ability and the desire to work collaboratively in cohesive teams
- Well-developed critical thinking skills are a must
- Possess the ability and desire to work in and adapt to a fast-paced, dynamic environment, whilst achieving priority results
- Possess excellent logical and analytical skills
- A high comfort level with technical tools, Excel and Access essential
Preferred Qualifications (great to have but not absolutely necessary)
- Previous software experience a plus
- A good understanding of QA and Testing, and how those two terms differ
- Previous experience providing User Acceptance Testing for a software product is preferred
- Fluency in languages other than English are a plus
- Demonstrable experience with transactional and consumption taxes implementations in software and software as a service
- Demonstrable experience or qualifications in managing process optimization
(Although not generally required, the candidate must be flexible to overlap work timings with other Avalara offices globally, as needed).
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types. The company delivers comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use. The Avalara Compliance Cloud® platform helps customers manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities throughout the world.
Avalara offers more than 600 pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications, making the integration of tax and compliance solutions easy for customers. Each year, the company processes billions of indirect tax transactions for customers and users, files more than a million tax returns, and manages millions of tax exemption certificates and other compliance documents.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and overseas in the U.K., Belgium, Brazil, and India. More information at www.avalara.com