Senior Analyst - Indirect Tax
Compliance | Seattle, WA, United StatesApply Now!
The Compliance team is a revenue generating organization that also plays a key role in driving AvaTax growth through delivering on returns filing services. We organized Compliance around pillars of customer success – including: Returns Experience, Returns Management and Customer Advocacy. The Premium Returns filing team is critical to the overall filing cycle as this team handles our largest and most complex customer filings. The Tax Analyst for PRS Compliance Operations, will have responsibility to advance Avalara's AvaTax/Returns Services by driving the evolution of features and future direction of automation in pursuit of “customer self-service.” Compliance drives significant revenue as part of monthly sales and use tax returns filing services for customers. Presence in the Durham office is essential for the team's success and for building key cross-functional relationships.
- Prepare, review, and file multi-jurisdictional sales/use, business and occupation, and gross receipts tax returns for monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, and annual filings
- Manage a select group of strategic customers as their primary point of contact
- Maintain/update customer and filing calendar information
- Research and resolve jurisdictional notices on behalf of customers
- Prepare journal entries, reconciliations or other pre/post filing tasks as assigned
- Perform QA related to sales and use tax content and form changes
- Manage workload to effectively meet deadlines
- Identify ways to improve process and/or technology to better serve our customers.
- 2+ years in multi-jurisdictional sales and use tax preparation and filing.
- For senior role: 3+ years preparing and filing sales and use tax returns
- Bachelor's degree (B.S. or B.A.) from an accredited college or university
- Strong analytical, research, and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently yet still function as a team player
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task to meet strict filing deadlines
- Ability to learn and adapt to different software applications and tools
- Must have advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Excel and Access (functions include power pivot, vlookup, hlookup, etc.)
- Experience with a Big 4 firm, large corporate tax department of a multinational company, or large ERP integration is a plus.
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types. The company delivers comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use. The Avalara Compliance Cloud® platform helps customers manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities throughout the world.
Avalara offers more than 600 pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications, making the integration of tax and compliance solutions easy for customers. Each year, the company processes billions of indirect tax transactions for customers and users, files more than a million tax returns, and manages millions of tax exemption certificates and other compliance documents.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and overseas in the U.K., Belgium, Brazil, and India. More information at www.avalara.com
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.