Director, Corporate Events
Marketing | Durham, NC, United StatesApply Now!
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types. The company delivers comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use. The Avalara Compliance Cloud® platform helps customers manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities throughout the world.
Avalara offers more than 600 pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications, making the integration of tax and compliance solutions easy for customers. Each year, the company processes billions of indirect tax transactions for customers and users, files more than a million tax returns, and manages millions of tax exemption certificates and other compliance documents.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and overseas in the U.K., Belgium, Brazil, and India. More information at www.avalara.com
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.
Avalara is looking for a full-time Director of Events to articulate and drive a vision and strategic plan to successfully execute Avalara corporate events, including the annual CRUSH industry conferences, regional customer events, employee engagement events as well as recruiting events.
This is high-impact, high-visibility role requiring collaboration across multiple functions within Avalara, from executive team to distributed field and partner marketing teams. This position requires proven skills in strategic event planning and execution, project management, communications, budget/cost management, vendor management, and data analytics.
- Creation of the annual events plan for Avalara corporate events, including CRUSH, Avalara’s annual customer and industry conference as well as regional customer Roundtables, and expansion of CRUSH into a global series, building upon established leading European events.
- Ensure the successful execution of Avalara’s annual industry event, CRUSH, meeting revenue, attendance, and budget goals.
- Define, support, and continually improve upon scalable processes, programs, and performance management analytics around corporate events.
- Engage cross-department teams as necessary to support the success of events, including the Legal, PR, Social, Creative and Content teams to ensure that all events are approved from legal, branding and messaging perspectives.
- Leverage collaborative planning and reporting tools such as Salesforce, Tableau, and Confluence to maintain collaborative management space for all events.
- Collaborate with customer marketing for the planning and successful execution of customer-facing events, including regional customer roundtables
- Manage corporate events budget, meeting monthly with accounting to review event-related expenses against budget.
- Oversee administration of event-related contracts, statements of work, and purchase orders.
- Manage an internal team of events marketers. Work collaboratively with the team to create and manage their goals, conducting weekly staff meetings, as well as weekly 1:1s, and creating and tracking employee engagement plans.
- Manage team of full-time event contractors. Manage monthly billing, legal contracts and hold weekly meetings.
- Conduct bi-monthly meetings with CRUSH communications steering committee
- Maintain CRUSH communication calendar
- Experienced manager of managers or teams
- Experience working cross-functionally
- Experience managing change that impacts multiple functions
- Capable of communicating astutely across multiple audiences, providing broad perspective
- Proven ability to make decisions based on data, balanced criteria and multiple constituents
- History of seeking input from others and contributing successes to cross functional success
- CMP, CPP and/or CSEP certification and/or demonstrated thought leadership in events field
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, and/or business, or related field
- Minimum of 10 years event management experience
- Laser focused attention to details and timelines
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Superior planning and organizational skills
- Strong diplomacy skills
- Working knowledge of MS Office, Salesforce, and other CRM applications
- Willingness to travel
- Strong negotiation skills
- Salesforce or Tableau experience
- Experience in the tech industry and with channel-facing organizations