Senior Manager, Software Engineering (R7038)
Engineering | Seattle, WA, United States,Remote, NC, United StatesApply Now!
We are building cloud-based tax compliance solutions to handle every transaction in the world. Imagine every transaction you make - every tank of gas, cup of coffee, or pair of sneakers, every movie ticket, or streamed song, every sensor-to-sensor ping. Nearly every time you make a purchase, physical or digital, there is an accompanying unique and nuanced tax compliance calculation.
You will be leading a team that is building the next generation content platform to acquire, organize and distribute tax and compliance related content to several real-time systems in Avalara. We are looking for a Senior Manager who has the right combination of emotional and intellectual intelligence. This role will drive the organization OKR and manage several high skilled engineers. You are expected to understand problems we are trying to solve, participate in designing a very scalable system, work with all the stakeholders while keeping your employee motivated. Our culture fosters growth, efficiency, engineering excellence while having lots of fun.
- Fostering innovation and experimentation, delivering software solutions that exceed customer and stakeholder expectations
- Providing technical leadership and apply best practices to further leading-edge solutions
- Nurturing disagreement and the courage to change course
- Coordinating with internal resources and third parties/vendors for the flawless execution of program goals
- Ensuring product releases are of high quality, that delivers excellent user experiences, and is compliant with regulatory requirements
- Measuring team performance using appropriate tools and techniques
- Should carry Inclusive leadership skills
- Liaising with the product teams and establishing highly collaborative partnerships
- Developing a fun culture enabling high employee engagement and cohesive, collaborative teams across domains and locations
- Collaborate with a wide variety of stakeholders within business and technology teams to drive change required to execute product and engineering roadmaps
- Leading a team in an environment which includes modern technologies, continuous integration/continuous delivery tool chains, and the full software development lifecycle
- Using industry research and emerging technologies to ensure we are appropriately leveraging new techniques and capabilities
- Recruit and cultivate top talent by driving technical and leadership development
- Minimum of 12 years of related technical experience and at least 4 years of managing employees/leadership experience required
- Education - Bachelor in Computer science or other related degree
- Leadership traits with extensive hands-on experience in building and managing the development of complex, large scale enterprise applications and products that require a deep understanding of application logic and dependencies
- Agile application development methodology
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills required, with the ability to create and deliver effective presentations to Senior Leadership across the organization
- Good at building relationships and proven ability to influence and drive delivery across a geographical distributed organization
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Working experience on Cloud (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud)
- Ability to write great documentation
- Passion to see your product be the best in the business
- Familiar with containerization technologies (Docker, Kubernetes, ECS)
- Experience with Managing/Leading 8 or more direct hires
- Experience with Product based company
- Experience with SaaS based solutions
- Knowledge of Indirect Tax. (Sales Tax, Consumer use tax, VAT & Excise Tax)
- Experience in the content management domain and systems
- Experience on latest tools for static and dynamic code analysis, CI/CD pipeline, TDD and Serverless framework. Preferable on AWS (Cloud) infrastructure and services.
- Experience with Data Platform such as DataBricks and Low Code Platforms such as OutSystems, Mendix etc.
Avalara, Inc., (www.Avalara.com), is the leading provider of cloud-based software that delivers a broad array of compliance solutions related to sales tax and other transactional taxes.
The logic behind calculating taxes — the rules, rates, and boundaries — is a global, layered, three-dimensional mess of complexity, with compliance dictated by governments and applied by every business, every day.
Avalara works with businesses of all sizes, all over the world — from corner stores to gigantic global retailers — to calculate tax accurately and automatically, at speeds measured in milliseconds. That's a massive technical challenge, in terms of scale, reliability, and complexity, and we do it better than anyone.
That's why we're growing fast. Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S., Canada, Brazil, UK, Europe and India.
What is it like to work at Avalara? Come find out! We are committed to the following success traits that embody our culture and how we work together to accomplish great things: Fun. Passion. Adaptability. Urgency. Simplicity. Curiosity. Humility. Ownership. Optimism.
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.