Tax Research Analyst
Tax | Durham, NC, United StatesApply Now!
Are you excited about tax research? Do you love technology? Are you apt at problem-solving and analyzing complex legal and compliance tax issues? Do you want to join a dynamic and supportive team in a collaborative work environment that will enhance professional skill development? This is your opportunity to join a highly productive team at a fast-growing Software as a Service (SaaS) company doing what you are passionate about. Avalara is dedicated to monitoring transaction taxes at the international, state, county and municipal levels and developing software that keeps pace with the dynamics in the market. We offer mechanized desks, free beverages (beer, pop, juice, espresso), a fun and flexible work environment with a pool table, gymnasium, yoga, tiki bar, meditation room, and subsidized parking. Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types. The company delivers comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use. The Avalara Compliance Cloud® platform helps customers manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities throughout the world.
Avalara is looking to fill two positions. Both positions are responsible for providing quality transaction tax research and assisting with the development and internal consumption of tax data. The positions will be well suited for a person with demonstrated background or interest in transaction taxes, a relevant educational background or related experience, and strong communication and organizational skills.
- Tax Research Analyst is dedicated to monitoring transaction taxes in multiple industries at the state, county and municipal levels.
- Tax Research Analyst, Communications is dedicated to monitoring transaction taxes specific to the telecommunications industry at the international, federal, state, county and municipal levels.
- Monitor legislation and judicial decisions for changes in communications transaction taxes in assigned jurisdictional or topical areas
- Research tax law, reporting, and remittance requirements to keep our tax products in compliance with state, county, and local jurisdiction tax laws
- Apply jurisdiction, rate, rule, boundary, exemption, tax holiday, and returns metadata changes into our software while providing concise documentation of the changes
- Based upon tax research, validate results of test transactions pre-production
- Identify and apply exemption certificate changes
- Assist with testing of software updates and changes as part of the monthly release cycle
- Build productive working relationships with state, county, and city authorities to maximize the quality of our product
- When opportunities to further automate and streamline processes exist, raise them to Manager and/or Sr Designer to enable prioritization and ticket creation for Content Engineering
- A natural curiosity about technology and an interest in innovation and learning about new areas of transaction taxes
- Relevant degree (i.e. Accounting/Auditing, Finance, Law, Economics, Geography, Data Science, Statistics) or 1-3 years equivalent experience researching tax law
- Excellent research skills, including a logical and creative approach to drilling down to specific data to surface information that is vital to the accuracy of published content
- Effective communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to work in and support a team environment through collective team topics, load balancing, and sharing/receiving constructive feedback
- Ability to multi task, troubleshoot, and problem solve in a calm, analytical and methodical manner that also demonstrates a sense of urgency
- Proactively participate in a dynamic and innovative tax environment by maintaining a high level of energy while being consistently dependable, efficient, and accurate
- Demonstrated ability to manage time to achieve priority results
- Ability to maintain organization and attention to detail
- Analytic ability at a level sufficient to understand and resolve client requests and tax concerns
- Ability to analyze and manipulate data within a software program
- Ability to apply basic math, percentages and general accounting rules
- Ability to use various software, including MS Office, browsers, subscription research services and Avalara products
- Demonstrated high standards of excellence in work product and professionalism
- MBA, JD/LLM, and/or CPA/Chartered Accountant
- Familiarity with tax returns and/or government compliance
- Familiarity with Atlassian Confluence and / or JIRA
- Two to four (2-4) years research, consulting or audit experience in state and local or transaction taxes
- Experience in the telecommunications industry (Communications position)
- Experience with conditional statements and / or formulas in Excel and familiarity with Boolean logic.
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types. The company delivers comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use. The Avalara Compliance Cloud® platform helps customers manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities throughout the world.
Avalara offers more than 600 pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications, making the integration of tax and compliance solutions easy for customers. Each year, the company processes billions of indirect tax transactions for customers and users, files more than a million tax returns, and manages millions of tax exemption certificates and other compliance documents.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and overseas in the U.K., Belgium, Brazil, and India. More information at www.avalara.com
The perks of working at Avalara go beyond amazing physical spaces and a Tiki Bar. We’re committed to continued progress in diversity and inclusion. As an employee at Avalara, you’ll have the opportunity to join resource groups focused on diversity of thought, engage with your local or global community about topics that matter to you and the organization and receive continued education around inclusion and development. As Avalara grows, so do the voices within it. It’s time to hear your voice.
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, gender, nation of origin, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law. We thrive on diversity and encourage people from all walks of life to apply to Avalara’s open positions.