Senior Data warehouse/ETL Developer
Engineering | Durham, NC, United StatesApply Now!
We are looking for a Sr. Data warehouse/ETL Developer with strong technical proficiency in SQL development to build an ETL pipeline for enterprise data warehouse. The Data Services team is fundamentally tasked with the operation of our data warehouse infrastructure components with a focus on collection, storage, processing, and analyzing of large sets of data. The primary focus will be to evaluate and optimize packaged solutions (Talend, MS SQL Server, SSIS, other ETL frameworks) for these purposes, then implementing, maintaining and monitoring them. You will also be responsible for integrating them with the architecture used across the company.
The successful candidate will be a well-rounded data warehouse developer with vast experience in ETL tools, SQL development and query performance tuning. Experience in database design, data modeling, data warehousing and effectively communicating with others is a must. Program management skills are great to have. Domain knowledge of sales and marketing, CRM, SaaS, and the billing/financial ERP space would be a huge advantage.
- Design, implement, test, and roll-out of facts, dimensions and data marts including development of proof-of-concepts
- Selecting and integrating ETL tools and data warehouse solutions required to satisfy business needs
- Experience in enterprise data warehouse ETL design and development as well as migration of ETL stack from one tool to another
- Consolidate and help standardize data integration efforts across multiple data sources and destinations
- Implementing ETL processes which drive Avalara’s data pipeline
- Write extensive T-SQL code to build facts and dimensions, and maintain them
- Monitor daily ETL processes; Will be part of team on-call weekend rotation schedule
- Develop ETL specifications, source to target mappings and other documentation required for ETL development
- Develop, enforce and maintain appropriate change control procedures
- Generate high-quality design, requirements and technical documentation
- Provide technical escalation and be on call via pager during designated periods
- Agile work environment experience including working from a ticket system like Jira or similar, and collaborating through a distributed version control system like Github or similar
- Lead and manage backlog with a globally distributed team
- Work independently and as a team player to deliver world class data services on behalf of the company
- 5+ years of experience in T-SQL extensive coding, preferably in an OLAP/BI environment
- 5+ years of experience designing and developing Extraction, Transform and Load (ETL) processes
- The ideal candidate must possess deep expertise in data warehousing, dimensional modeling, and the ability to bring best practices with regard to master data management, ETL, and data governance
- Strong knowledge of ETL techniques and frameworks
- Experience with integration of data from multiple data sources
- Strong experience with ETL tooling such as SSIS, Talend, Wherescape or similar
- Extensive experience using SQL including complex stored procedures, common table expressions, analytic functions, query optimization, and indexing
- Strong proficiency in SQL Server, both development, performance tuning & optimization
- Proficiency in data modeling and profiling
- Awareness of the landscape of database-agnostic ETL tools and frameworks like Streamsets, Sqoop, Flume, Trifacta or Datameer
- A strong work ethic and ability to self-start
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, ability to communicate and interact effectively at both technical and business level.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Experience in SQL server 2012 and later versions.
- Preferred Qualifications
- Big Data (Hadoop, Spark, Hive, Pig, Presto)
- DBA responsibilities
- Jira and Confluence
- Master’s degree in computer science, engineering, or information management
- MPP data warehouses solution and cloud-based services
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types. The company delivers comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use. The Avalara Compliance Cloud® platform helps customers manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities throughout the world.
Avalara offers more than 600 pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications, making the integration of tax and compliance solutions easy for customers. Each year, the company processes billions of indirect tax transactions for customers and users, files more than a million tax returns, and manages millions of tax exemption certificates and other compliance documents.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and overseas in the U.K., Belgium, Brazil, and India. More information at www.avalara.com
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.