Database Administrator (Senior)
Engineering | Brighton, United KingdomApply Now!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Provide expertise and collaborate with product development teams to:
- Design, implement, and maintain high availability persistent storage in on-premise, SaaS and public Cloud environments; must include SQL/RDBMS, NoSQL, and document stores.
- Knowledge of different ORM frameworks and solutions.
- Administer all aspects of the production databases including applying patches, upgrading or migrating to the latest supported versions, and planning for appropriate storage capacity
- Troubleshoot performance issues
- Expertise in MS SQL Server 2012/2014/2016, including SQL server operations, index tuning, understanding query plans and SQL query optimization
- Develop and implement disaster recovery plans including RTO and RPO
- Review and apply recommended OS patches and upgrades
- Implement industry standard best practices for ongoing database administration
- Develop and maintain knowledge in database design architecture and physical data modelling, including sharding, partitioning, debugging, profiling, and problem solving
- Automate database migrations and tests as part of an automated continuous deployment pipeline.
- Develop, enforce, and maintain appropriate database change control procedures
- Exercise appropriate control and implement security protocols to keep financial and sensitive data secure
- Review existing processes and recommend changes or institute new processes as necessary, including the areas of monitoring, upgrades, and tuning
- Generate high-quality project documentation, such as architecture designs, implementation plans, design documents, test plans, etc.
- Exposure to OLAP, enterprise data warehouse design and support experience. Experience in SSRS and SSAS, Talend ETL is advantageous.
- Other job duties as assigned
- Provide technical escalation and be on call during designated periods
- Be flexible with regards to business hours to accommodate overlapping shifts and weekend on-call rotations
Qualifications and Experiences:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering or related field; or equivalent combination of skills and experience
- 10+ years of experience implementing, maintaining and architecting database solutions using Microsoft SQL Server, Postgres, and others.
- SQL Server Database Administration
- Conceptual knowledge on Data Warehousing, Data Mart, ODS, Business Intelligence
- Experience with diverse persistent storage technologies including AWS RDS, SQL / RDBMS, NoSQL, and document stores.
- Jira and Confluence
- Exposure to SOX Compliance Audit is most preferable.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills
- Should be a self-starter. Ability to work under pressure on multiple projects.
- Flexibility to work on BI/ETL development tasks as per project need. Preferably having exposure to BI/ETL development is an added advantage.
Avalara is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to job applicants with physical or mental disabilities. Applicants with a disability who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can follow this process outlined when applying for a position: Please provide your name and contact information to our recruitment team at recruitmentEMEA@avalara.com