Software Architect (R7342)
Engineering | Remote, United StatesApply Now!
Avalara aspires to be world's leader in providing end to end compliance solutions for SMBs and Enterprises.
You, as an Architect at Avalara will be part of a dedicated architecture team leading and driving technology standards across the company in collaboration with various groups like Product Engineering / Security / Operations and IT. From being an active member of our Architecture Review Board to building new and exploratory proof of concept projects, your opportunity to make an impact will be huge. If you like a fast-paced environment with the opportunity to help shape a company's engineering culture, quality of deliverables, influencing teams to build robust/extensible architecture, as well as development standards and processes, this could be the opportunity you've been looking for. You will be part of a team that will drive, strategize and provide a path for various engineering teams to help them change the engine while in-flight balancing realities and idealism.
To give you a realistic idea, here are a few problems that you will end up working on…
- Streamline and provide a delightful customer experience for users of our APIs by - reducing cognitive load for developers to build and release APIs, increasing consistency across APIs built and delivered by various teams, being predictable with releases and quality of the same, and more… The work in front of us here is leveraging the expertise and experience across various groups in the company, align, standardize, and come up with a path for a streamlined API experience for end users.
- Strategizing, influencing, and planning out a path for the various products in Avalara to be globally distributed and available.
- Constantly improving the quality of our products by coming up with and implementing new initiatives and improving our current daily work
- and many more…
You would be expected to…
- Drive architecture, design, and facilitate development of top priority initiatives in the company
- Be an active member of Avalara's Architecture Review Board
- Drive alignment and efficiency across Avalara Engineering & Product Management
- Help grow and strengthen Avalara's business by improving its technology, processes, and people
- Shape the engineering culture of the organization in collaboration with various engineering teams
- Assist with and be an active member of our patent and IP development process
- Mentor engineers across the org and other team members, share your skills and expertise, encourage creativity and innovation
You are expected to possess…
- Minimum of a 4-year technical degree in Computer Science or related field
- Requires at least 15 years relevant experience
- Demonstrated ability to influence and drive initiatives across organizational boundaries aimed at breaking through organizational inertia
- First-hand experience leading engineering teams
- Deep empathy towards running a business, executing software projects, and the spectrum of problems in between to ensure your solutions and suggestions are pragmatic and adopted
- Extensive and proven experience working in cloud-based environments such as AWS, GCP, or Azure
- Broad and extensive knowledge of the software development lifecycle (SDLC), its tools and technologies
- Broad knowledge of technologies and trends in software engineering, tax industry would be a bonus
- Experience shipping customer-facing software in at least 2 core languages such as C#, Java, NodeJS, Golang, etc.
- Strong knowledge of architectural styles and design patterns
- Advanced knowledge of Computer Science concepts
- Experience and knowledge in data modeling, database design, and building applications and services at scale via service-oriented architectures, microservices and industry best practices
- Willingness to challenge the status-quo with the aptitude and tenacity to change it
You will be part of a team consisting of …
- People who have worked in small, medium, and large sized companies
- People across the globe with different backgrounds and from different cultures
- People who are opinionated and passionate while also being curious and willing to adapt to new information
- People who believe in the essence of continuous improvement
- People who are eager to learn and grow – people who possess a growth mindset