Engineering | Brighton, United KingdomApply Now!
The Engineering team is building Avalara's next generation of SaaS software to be part of every VAT calculation in the world. Software with 5 nines of reliability. Software which is part of a sales checkout process so it's got to be fast and accurate. That requires systems with massive scale and redundancy by design with functional excellence. It also requires top notch APIs and a SOA design for maintainability and extensibility.
In this role, you will be responsible for functional, performance, integration, reliability and subsequent automation testing to ensure world class quality of Avalara products. You will be the voice of the customer within the organization, demanding zero defects, five nine's reliability and ease of use.
- Be a key participant in creating a Quality First, Zero Defects culture. Promote Shift Left testing.
- Drive improvement of CI/CD process, including automated test development and strategy.
- Develop and execute automated tests – Functional, Regression, Smoke and Load/Performance tests.
- Manage and implement test data strategy for multiple test environments.
- Analyze test failures, and related system logs to find root cause and identify possible solutions.
- Participate on a DevOps / agile team – full life cycle – including design, planning, backlog grooming, testing and support.
- Communicate potential risks, delays, concerns and status to the team.
- Participate in QA collaborations across the wider organisation and help propagate Industry best practices in QA.
- Most of all, be collaborative and work to advance the business, product and team.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent.
- A strong understanding of test methodologies and software engineering throughout all phases of the software development life cycle.
- Significant demonstrable related work experience including writing test cases, test strategy and producing test reports.
- Strong QA skills: planning, exploratory testing, defect reporting, troubleshooting and debugging.
- Demonstrable experience of having worked with and built or extended frameworks for automated UI and API testing.
- Experience in performance, load and reliability engineering.
- Understanding of application security concepts.
- Experience of using BDD, TDD or ATDD methodology and related tools.
- Strong knowledge of .NET framework. OR A solid understanding and hands-on experience of using any Object Oriented programming language.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server/ any other RDBMS.
- Experience using various testing tools.
- Experience with Git, JIRA, Confluence.
- Experience working on CI/CD tools to create pipelines.
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and flexibility to work collaboratively with others in a dynamic environment.
- Excellent communication skills, collaboration, follow-up and self-motivation.
- Professional demeanour, team player, and a positive attitude.
We're building cloud-based tax compliance solutions to handle every transaction in the world. Imagine every transaction you make — every tank of gas, cup of coffee, or pair of sneakers, every movie ticket, meal kit, or streamed song, every sensor-to-sensor ping. Nearly every time you make a purchase, physical or digital, there's an accompanying unique and nuanced tax compliance calculation.
The logic behind calculating taxes — the rules, rates, and boundaries — is a global, layered, three-dimensional mess of complexity, with compliance dictated by governments and applied by every business, every day.
Avalara works with businesses of all sizes, all over the world — from corner stores to gigantic global retailers — to calculate tax accurately and automatically, at speeds measured in milliseconds. That's a massive technical challenge, in terms of scale, reliability, and complexity, and we do it better than anyone.
That's why we're growing fast. Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and around the world, in Belgium, Brazil, Canada, India, and the U.K.
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, or any other factor protected by law.
Avalara is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to job applicants with physical or mental disabilities. Applicants with a disability who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can follow this process outlined when applying for a position: Please provide your name and contact information to our recruitment team at recruitmentEMEA@avalara.com