Avalara Introduces E-invoicing Solution to Help Businesses Manage GST Compliance in India
SEATTLE, WA — September 17, 2020 — Avalara, Inc., a leading provider of cloud-based tax compliance automation for businesses of all sizes, today announced the availability of Avalara India GST e-Invoicing, an end-to-end solution that helps companies manage e-invoicing requirements and comply with India’s e-invoicing reform. The new offering builds on Avalara’s range of technological solutions available to improve the Goods and Services Tax (GST) compliance experience for businesses in India by validating, storing, and managing invoices, and providing the option to automate GST returns and e-way bills.
New e-invoicing mandate in India places increased challenges on businesses
The latest announcement on e-invoicing enforcement, beginning October 1, 2020, has created urgency among businesses to conform with the new legislative reform, and has increased the compliance and technological challenges on businesses.
Under the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs rule, businesses having an annual turnover above Rs 500 crores (approximately USD 68 million) in India will be required to generate tax invoices or debit-credit notes from their enterprise resource planning (ERP) or other accounting systems and register their transactions with the government’s invoice registration portal. After the portal verifies the invoice, it’s digitally signed by the GST Network (GSTN), which generates the signed e-invoice with an Invoice Reference Number (IRN) and a Quick Response code (QR code). These e-invoices are then issued to the business for maintaining records and sharing with their business stakeholders.
Complying with new e-invoicing requirements means businesses must update their ERP and accounting systems to effectively manage their GST reporting obligations. Global enterprises operating in India will also need to comply with e-invoicing obligations, which require the continuous generation of e-invoices with correct IRNs and QR codes. Due to the real-time nature of e-invoicing, businesses that manually generate e-invoices will face added complexity and burden.
Automate and gain control over e-invoicing and GST compliance in India with Avalara
Avalara India GST e-Invoicing helps businesses generate bulk e-invoices in real time and in batches for their transactions while effortlessly automating GST returns and e-way bills. This enables businesses to:
- Simplify the e-invoice management at scale. Drop manual compliance processes while generating millions of e-invoices with GST Identification Numbers (GSTIN) and enable customized invoice printing.
- Provide seamless integration with an existing software stack. Leverage flexible API integrations or file uploads to minimize disruptions to current workflows within ERP and other accounting systems.
- Improve governance and reduce business risk. Utilize a complete India-specific GST compliance suite to automate GST returns, reconciliations, and e-way bills.
- Create a transparent, frictionless experience. Reduce disruptions due to flawed or missing information with built-in validation of invoice data during e-invoice creation.
- Scale resources and increase efficiency. Increase return on investment by allocating the time and attention of internal resources toward higher-value work.
“For global businesses, their India operation is critical to their competitiveness, but that has exposed them to a new world of GST compliance complexity,” said Sanjay Parthasarathy, chief product officer at Avalara. “Avalara’s GST e-invoicing solution provides businesses with a platform that easily integrates with existing commerce technology and automates the process of generating and filing e-invoices.”
Avalara India GST e-Invoicing can be leveraged as an integrated solution or as a stand-alone module for generating e-invoices and supporting compliance needs in India. Avalara India GST e-Invoicing can be combined with Avalara AvaTax for tax calculations across business transactions and other indirect tax types, including U.S. sales and use tax.
For additional information about Avalara India GST e-Invoicing, click here.